Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
PamelaBonta

Re: Moving Bookmark to Next Chapter?

Post by PamelaBonta »

P.S. You an also delete old bookmarks by doing the same as listed above, but clicking on the trash can in the right hand column.
chamfamdad

Post by chamfamdad »

PamelaBonta wrote:From the How To Guide for Study Notebook:

Your Notes and Journal bookmarks sync to the Gospel Library iOS and Android apps. However, the concept of bookmarks differs slightly between Notes and Journal and the apps. On Notes and Journal, bookmarks are links to your favorite articles, so the feature aligns more with social bookmarking tools (such as Delicious). In the apps, however, bookmarks are more like placeholders to remind yourself where you left off reading. They aren't intended to hold dozens of links.
Online bookmarks function like a favorites button on your browser, but mobile bookmarks act like a bookmark in a book you are reading.
Then why are they called the same thing? And why are they linked to each other? If they are different and are meant to be used in different ways, then they should have different names and they should not update each other.
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

1. There are different groups of developers for different products. 2. Notes was developed about 6 years ago, and since it is web-based, uses web lingo. The apps are not that old and I don't know if there was a standard lingo for apps when they were first developed. 3. Many of our apps are developed by volunteers and church service missionaries under the guidance of church employees, or through LDStech contests.

They are linked to each other because they all sync to the LDS Cloud so that people can access their annotations from any supported device.
aaronkdale

Post by aaronkdale »

esfaulkner7@gmail.com wrote:Rather, you just create a new bookmark named the same as the existing bookmark that you would like to update, and it will update the existing bookmark. Still a lame work around, hopefully they will figure out something better.
I did this and it did not update the existing bookmark, but created a new one
PamelaBonta

Post by PamelaBonta »

aaronkdale, please see my work around that i posted in this thread on nov 21 2014 - it is currently the only work around that works for bookmarks in online notes.
jckocherhans

Post by jckocherhans »

My bookmark updates when I create a new one using the same name of the one I want to update as described by esfaulkner7
rrichey4430

Post by rrichey4430 »

It would be a simple thing to update the web functionality to match the mobile functionality and make the bookmarks editable. Doing so would in no way impact the functionality for those who prefer to use the bookmarks as a "favorites" list. There are so many other less useful features being added all the time. Why is this one being neglected?

There was once a third-party fix using javascript that actually worked for a time, but it no longer works for me. Here it is: http://tech.lds.org/forum/viewtopic.php ... bec#p75696
tbarron97

Post by tbarron97 »

It seems odd that this forum topic has been kicked around for over 2.5 years, and we STILL don't have a way to move a bookmark from one chapter to another. Come on people.
AtkinsonOS

Post by AtkinsonOS »

This is not a work around as much as it is a statement of the fact that the bookmark does not work as expected. We are aware of that, it is just not acceptable.
PamelaBonta wrote:Go to LDS.org. Click on Sign IN at the top right. From the drop down men choose Notes. Then sign in. When your own personal Notes page appears, look at the column on the left hand side. One of the option should be Types. (If it is not expanded already, click on it.) Click on Bookmarks. The most recent item you Bookmarked should be on top.

While they both have the same name, Bookmarks work differently online and in the apps. The bookmarks in apps work like a bookmark you put in a paper book - they mark the last thing you read. Bookmarks online mark favourite things you want to go back to again and again - much like Pinterest.
AtkinsonOS

Post by AtkinsonOS »

I just tried this from chrome on windows 7 and it did not work. It created another bookmark with the same name. Consider yourself lucky.
jckocherhans wrote:My bookmark updates when I create a new one using the same name of the one I want to update as described by esfaulkner7

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”