Updating profile photo not working

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Member Tools Application.
ericb

Updating profile photo not working

Post by ericb »

I'll appreciate feedback per an issue I was recently made aware of by some ward members with iPhones. This is in regard to uploading a profile picture using the app -- in my test, I tried this on an iPhone 5s with iOS 9.3.1 using LDS Tools 2.5.1. After selecting a picture and confirming to upload, a spinning cursor displays on the screen and the photo does not appear to upload. I tried exiting and re-attempting with no change, as well as using an existing picture and taking one.

Does this happen to be a known issue? Our stake president has asked ward leaders (including my wife, the RS President) to help facilitate members getting their profile pictures updated, and this capability in LDS Tools seems to be the most straightforward for many members.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Updating profile photo not working

Post by russellhltn »

I know there was a change to the photo back end, and a new LDS Tools 3.0 is supposed to hit on the first. You might want to wait for 3.0 to arrive in the Apple Store and try again.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
ccole59

Post by ccole59 »

I updated to the new version on my iPhone and iPad and my existing picture was no longer there. I've uploaded it twice on my iPhone but it doesn't see to stay. It didn't show up on my iPad either and no one else can see it when they look in LDS Tools. There appears to be some issue there. I do like the new features and look, but not how it is handling pictures.
ericb

Post by ericb »

I just updated LDS Tools on my iPhone5 to version 3.0.1 and was then able to successfully upload a picture. However, the 'constrain' feature when adjusting the photo is a bit confusing...hopefully others find it more intuitive.
ericb

Post by ericb »

Something else I just noticed per the update. Some members photos aren't displaying automatically. If I press on the '+' sign for their photo to update it (I'm thinking I have this option due to my calling as Stake Exec Sec), then the photo appears for the member if they posted one -- it's as if I did a 'force' download of the pic. When I back out, the member's photo continues to display on the subsequent screens.

I just the steps above and was able to get about 10 members photos to display that were not showing automatically. Unfortunately, I'm unable to identify a pattern.
ccole59

Post by ccole59 »

I can load the picture but each time I sync it goes away. I think the issue is that the picture stays local to my device and when I sync it doesn't upload but then the Stan overwrites it.
ericb

Post by ericb »

ccole59 wrote:I can load the picture but each time I sync it goes away.
Yep, seeing same issue :-/
ccole59

Post by ccole59 »

One reply in another form post gave the old instructions for uploading pictures thru MLS saying that a bishopric member has to approve the photo first. I don't think that is still true with iPhone apps now available.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

ccole59 wrote:One reply in another form post gave the old instructions for uploading pictures thru MLS saying that a bishopric member has to approve the photo first. I don't think that is still true with iPhone apps now available.
It has never been possible to upload photos through MLS. Perhaps you're thinking of the Directory on LDS.org -- that seems to fit what you are describing a bit better. But a bishopric member or clerk or website administrator still has to approve photos, regardless of where they are uploaded from.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ccole59 wrote:I don't think that is still true with iPhone apps now available.
IIRC, depending on your calling, you may see unapproved photos. And you may be able to see your own unapproved photo. But for the general membership to see the photo, I believe it still has to be approved.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Member Tools App”