Over payment

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
simonmudge

Over payment

Post by simonmudge »

I accidental wrote a check twice for one expense for a member and they cashed both checks. What do I do?
eblood66

Re: Over payment

Post by eblood66 »

simonmudge wrote:I accidental wrote a check twice for one expense for a member and they cashed both checks. What do I do?
The bishop should ask the member to write a check back to the ward for the appropriate amount and then you should record that as a donation back to the category where the original expense came from. This is one of the exceptions to entering a donation to a budget category. The donation will not show up as a charitable donation for the member.
simonmudge

Post by simonmudge »

What about having the member wait until they spend more money from their budget?
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

simonmudge wrote:What about having the member wait until they spend more money from their budget?
That would greatly confuse the audit trail. It would also be hard to match up the documentation for the expense to the check since the amounts would be split over multiple checks from different times. I would not recommend that at all.

I didn't mention it but after getting the money back from the member and depositing it you should take a copy of the donation report and attach it to the duplicate expense to show that it was returned.
simonmudge

Thank you

Post by simonmudge »

Thanks. Your advise was very helpful

Return to “Local Unit Finance”