uploading PDF files gives Error service unavailable

Discussions about the Newsletter Tool at LDS.org.
jcsousa

uploading PDF files gives Error service unavailable

Post by jcsousa »

when uploading a pdf file size 3.8MB I see the error "Error service unavailable"
I try then to the same article to upload another PDF file with similar size and it works

Seems like I cannot upload just this file. Ideas?

Using Mac OS X with Safari
System is able to upload files so I am not sure it is the OS or Browser
Attachments
Screen Shot 2015-12-07 at 6.58.35 AM.png
(18.75 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mevans

Re: uploading PDF files gives Error service unavailable

Post by mevans »

It's been several days. Are you still having difficulties? It seems like the Newsletter is sometimes just erratic. People reporting issues with uploads isn't a new issue; it seems to be random.
jjensen68

Post by jjensen68 »

I have this problem 95% of the time I try to upload a PDF file, regardless of size or content or format. I use Firefox on MacOSX. I have also tried Word files and JPEG files with the same results.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I more frequently upload PNG files than PDFs. I agree there's an erratic issue. I haven't had problems recently, but I also haven't uploaded PDFs recently (but I think there are some PDFs to be uploaded soon). I'm on a Mac and am successful. If you're having a problem with Firefox, try another browser (Chrome, Safari, Opera) just to see if you have success there.

If you have the source document and are creating the PDF on your Mac, try changing some things in the source document and re-saving the PDF. Then it's a different file and maybe the Newsletter will like it.

Another option is to try things like compacting the PDF, or creating a PDF with a different tool. This might be expensive if you don't already have the tool. Macs will let you save to PDF, but Acrobat lets you do other things, like compact or optimize the PDF. There are some other less-expensive PDF tools for Macs that I still need to evaluate (We have a really old copy of Acrobat purchased for a more affordable student price when my wife was taking a class; I fear at some point it's going to stop working with OS upgrades).

Return to “Newsletter”