Sharing an MLS Database

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
techgy
Community Moderators

Sharing an MLS Database

Post by techgy »

We have two computers in our stake clerk's office. Only one has the MLS system installed on it.
Would it be possible to install the MLS software onto the 2nd computer and share the database?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Not supported and likely to cause file corruption even if you could figure out a way to get it to work.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Russell,

Understood. I didn't think this would work, but the question was raised by our stake clerk so I thought I'd inquire.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

If you need more ammo, you might reference the Desktop 5.5 instructions where it clearly states that all MLS users are to use the same Windows login. If MLS doesn't work across different users, I wouldn't take a chance on two concurrent users.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
kleavitt-p40

Post by kleavitt-p40 »

I am the referenced stake clerk. My plan was not to share the database between two computers. The database on the second computer would only be created from backups of the first computer and be completely separate. The second computer would not send/receive data with church HQ, but it would just be used to have a second way of accessing the information since the first computer is usually being used by the exec. sec.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

kleavitt wrote:My plan was not to share the database between two computers. The database on the second computer would only be created from backups of the first computer and be completely separate. The second computer would not send/receive data with church HQ, but it would just be used to have a second way of accessing the information since the first computer is usually being used by the exec. sec.
I don't see why that wouldn't work. The main problem is the second computer is likely to be always out of date. Or at least one backup out of date. If the Exec Sec isn't in MLS (and making changes), then it might be best to move the exec sec to the second machine.

Another question is just where did the second computer come from? MLS with data is only to be on church-owned machines. Donations for administrative computers is no longer allowed. So at some point I think this option is going to disappear.

techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I don't see why that wouldn't work. The main problem is the second computer is likely to be always out of date. Or at least one backup out of date. If the Exec Sec isn't in MLS (and making changes), then it might be best to move the exec sec to the second machine.

Another question is just where did the second computer come from? MLS with data is only to be on church-owned machines. Donations for administrative computers is no longer allowed. So at some point I think this option is going to disappear.
Both machines are church purchased machines. Only one has the MLS on it.
I still don't recommend doing this as it's possible that an accidental send/received could be done on the 2nd machine that would end up changing the database in HQ.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:I still don't recommend doing this as it's possible that an accidental send/received could be done on the 2nd machine that would end up changing the database in HQ.
I think it will get a security error.

Still, something seems wrong if the scheduling problem is that bad. Other wards seem to work it out somehow.

kh_design

I sympathize

Post by kh_design »

I can understand very clearly what Techgy is stating. MLS is a very powerful tool used to help leaders minister to the members. Many unfortunately do not take advantage of the MLS tool and the information that can be used to help fulfill a calling, and so taking more of there valuable time by not using MLS. However those who do use MLS and see it's information advantage try to use it to it's full capacity.

Here is the point I see, at 6:30AM and 8:30AM on Sundays the Stake clerks office gets to be very busy with most of the 12 High Councilmen, Clerks, Executive Secretary, and State Presidency looking to create some sort of custom report or directory to help them in there calling and assignment to serve the members. It is again the point I see as being considerate of the volunteer time we are all very willing to give.

Back to the point I see being made, is if there is a second Church Owned Computer in the Stake Clerks office (perhaps the computer that was just replaced, also perhaps the NIC and Modem removed so that it cannot transmit data to Church Headquarters) with a fairly recent MLS database this would be a very great time saving resource for the 12 High Councilmen, Clerks, Executive Secretary, and State Presidency to secure the reports needed for there aid in fulfilling there assignments.
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

From strictly a technical standpoint, it would not be too hard to accomplish. There are numerous programs available that could keep the C:\Program Files\LDS Church folder found on machine A synchronized on machine B. Many of these programs will utilize XP's "Volume Shadow" utility allowing even open files to be copied. As long as machine B is not trying to run MLS during a synchronization, then it should work fine. And since machine B does not have Afaria loaded, it won't be able to perform a send/receive.

With that said, I seriously think this would be in violation of the Church's policies regarding the usage of MLS and I would get approval from a much higher authority than this forum before attempting to set up such a configuration.

Mike

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”