Notes go with which verse?

Discussions around the iPhone/iPad/iPod Touch versions of the Gospel Library application.
andyrosenberg

Re: Notes go with which verse?

Post by andyrosenberg »

Thanks. Any suggestions on how to backup/protect info that is entered?
My wife's frustration level is enormous.
When she upgraded to 4.0 she found that several of her notes disappeared when she synced with LDS.org. She since has reverted to 3.4. Her notes stay intact on her phone, but they don't sync properly with LDS.org. Seems to be a Catch-22...
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

I'll have her get on this blog chain to post (if possible) screenshots of her issues.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

The only issue I'm aware of is highlights being off by a few words. If she's losing notes, that's another issue – could you expand on that?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
npk_techguy

Post by npk_techguy »

sbradshaw wrote:
npk_techguy wrote:
sbradshaw wrote: Yes, user-created notes will be coming back to the related content sidebar on iOS. I don't have a timeline on how soon, though.
Can you explain that a little? What do you mean by user created notes? Are those notes in a notebook or or those the notes linked to a highlight in the scriptures? Or both?
Notes, links, or tags associated with highlighted text in a chapter or article.
I am so relieved to hear that. Thanks for the clarification.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

Here's an example of the issues my wife has encountered, EX 15:27:
First, her entry on her iPad 2
Exodus 15 - ipad.JPG
(573.63 KiB) Not downloaded yet
The phrase, "where were twelve wells of water, and threescore and ten palm trees: and they encamped there by the waters." is highlighted in yellow, and tagged Twelve.
Next the same verse on her iPhone 6 Plus
Exodus 15 - iphone.PNG
(258.51 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Only the words, "where were twelve wells of water," are highlighted and not yellow, but rather orange. The tag Twelve appears.
Finally, on LDS.org
Exodus 15 - LDSorg.png
(98.41 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Nothing is highlighted and there isn't any tag in the Notebook section of LDS.org (she has 23 Tags under Twelve so a screenshot can't capture them all)

Here's a test we did 1NE 1:1 - we highlighted the word "learning" in gray
First, her iPad
1 Nephi 1 - ipad.PNG
(532.22 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"learning" is highlighted in gray.
Second, her iPhone
1 Nephi 1 iPhone.PNG
(353.03 KiB) Not downloaded yet
"learning" is highlighted in gray.
Finally, LDS.org
1 Nephi - LDSorg.png
(56.56 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Rather than the word learning, "and" is highlighted in gray.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

I sent in the message an hour and 1/2 ago yet I see that the attachments are "Not downloaded yet"
What would prevent/slow this process?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

It does look like they are out of sync. First:
  • Make sure Gospel Library on the iPhone, Gospel Library on the iPad, and LDS.org are signed in with her LDS Account.
  • Be sure that each is signed in with the same username (the same LDS Account, not different LDS Accounts).
  • Ensure that each is properly connected to the internet.
After making sure that each device is signed in with the correct LDS Account and connected to the internet, try these steps:
  1. Open Gospel Library on the iPhone.
  2. Force close the app (double-tap the home button, then swipe it upward out of the recent apps list).
  3. Reopen the app, and watch for a little spinner at the very top of the screen (next to the cell provider name or WiFi symbol). Force closing and reopening the app will force a sync, and the spinner means that the sync is in process.
  4. After the spinner is gone, go to the main library, then navigate back to the chapter. This will refresh the chapter and force the highlights and annotations to re-draw on the page. Depending on how many annotations you have on the page, it may take up to 5 seconds for everything to appear.
Next, repeat steps 1–4 on the iPad.

Finally, refresh the chapter on LDS.org.

Then report back! :)
hotrodgrandma3

Post by hotrodgrandma3 »

I am sad to say I agree with all that has been said about this. I study every day. This has made it very frustrating. I'm even having major issues trying to add new copied notes from another source to certain scripture passages. I use my iPad so have no way to revert back to the previous version. And the comment by corwinslack about "casual users", I think feel sorry for "casual users" who are not as computer savvy because I am sorry to say, the new changes are not easy to figure out and there are so many "buggie" issues. I do wonder if the team submitted this new version to beta testers first, because my impression is that they did not, simply by the amount of problems. I, too, wish that I could use the older version until this one has most of these issues fixed.
andyrosenberg

Post by andyrosenberg »

So here is my report, and it has a seemingly bizarre quirk.

We had already done the steps that you recommend, but thought we'd follow the procedure again. After completing each of the steps as well as signing out and signing in on each device, the same errors appear in both 1 Nephi 1:1 and Exodus 15:27.

However, I then highlighted the word "Elim" in Exodus 15:27 in LDS.org and forced closed the app on her iPhone and iPad. When I opened the app on each device, the highlight correctly appeared on each device - though each device still displayed the 2 different highlights that I described in my previous note, and there still was no highlight in LDS.org where there were highlights, albeit different on the iPad and iPhone.

Then I thought I'd try it the other way. I highlighted the word "they" on her iPad and after force quitting the app on her iPhone, the word was correctly highlighted. I reloaded the page on LDS.org on her computer and it too correctly displayed the word "they" highlighted and in the correct color.

Next, I highlighted the word "And" on her iPhone and force quit the app on her iPad. When I reopened the app the word appeared with the correctly colored highlight. I reloaded the LDS.org page and it too had the correctly highlighted word.

Finally I reversed the process one word at a time, and each was correctly removed from the other devices.

However, through all that, the differently highlighted words and colors still remained on the iPhone and iPad without any corresponding highlight on LDS.org.

Of course that logically doesn't make make any sense, but those difference (errors) remain in EX 15:27 and 1 Ne 1:1.

Your thoughts???
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

OK, so it sounds like new annotations are syncing fine. What happens if you edit one of the unsynced highlights – for example, change the color – does the updated highlight sync to the other devices?

There was a bug in Gospel Library 3 (fixed in Gospel Library 4) that if you create a highlight on device A while offline, then sync device B, then device A comes online and syncs – that highlight from device A won't ever make it to device B. I wonder if that happened for those particular highlights? If so, just editing the highlight will change the modified timestamp and cause it to sync.

You say you signed out and signed in on each device – do you mean you just checked to see if you were signed in? Normally, if you sign out, it will remove all the annotations from your device, and then when you sign in again it will download them all from the sync service. So signing out and signing in should completely reset everything to what the sync service thinks you have. Anything that hadn't synced from your device would be lost.

Return to “iPhone/iPad Gospel Library”