Meetinghouse Internet - How is it used?

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

What if technology today is compare to writing and reading on the past?
Can someone find an answer to why Catholic Church would have to spend a lot of money providing paper, ink and books to their priest at year 1000 d.C?
Instead of looking for how it's worth today, we must look forward for tomorrow.
Church can be a flywheel for members, and not members, for a good use of IT technology.
In the USA Pc went into family well before church, but around the worlds?
In Italy too there are many members without Pc and/or Internet. Teaching IT at church IMHO is enough worth to push GA spend a lot of money for it.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
greenwoodkl

Meetinghouse Library extension

Post by greenwoodkl »

I would think that Meetinghouse Internet coupled with streaming technologies and online databases not yet available, could serve as a great extension or near-replacement for Meetinghouse Libraries.

I'd like to see a day when any teacher or leader could pull up video, audio, photo, or text resources from any Conference session, Church magazine issue, broadcast archive, CES fireside, WWLT, BYU fireside, etc...

In the near term, I've seen a few teachers ask the clerks to print out messages from the Ensign or Church website that they wished to use in their lesson during the church block, but they left at home or thought of spontaneously at the chapel.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Just a gentle reminder, the idea here is what can be done with it now. Or, why should the stake install it this year? There's certainly nothing preventing the stake from installing later when more services are available.

On the other side, any thoughts as to why we should wait are also welcome. I can think of two examples:

1) IIFC, when the church went around installing broadband and WiFi in buildings, they started with FHCs that had NO Internet access and then moved on to onces that had dial-up. I don't think any of them that had installed their own broadband got any such install.

2) When MLS was first rolled out it was up to the stake to get their own machines. This created quite a stir and a few problems. About a year later, the church announced the 5-year replacement plan. Everyone who didn't have at least 500MHz CPUs got new ones. As for those who bought their own machines (which were probably not church standard)? Well, they got MLS about a year sooner. (We got our machines as church cast-offs. We were in line since most of our machines were 386 and 486. So we got MLS in the beginning but without spending a dime. And since they were all 400MHz, we all got new machines a year later. :))

Sometimes it does pay to be a Luddite. So, I thank you all in advance for showing the church how valuable Internet access is and why every chapel should have it. :D
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

Ok. I apologize for my love of tech. Excuse me.
Here I try to make a list including thing that are already point out, just for clearity.
Remeber I live in Italy. Item are not sorted per importance!
1. Update and send/receive data with MLS very fast.
2. Genelogical work. Many italian member has not computer in their homes. So they can use church's Pc.
3. Clerk training and Pc maintenanance trought VLN.
4. Access to Church's Internet resources (web, streaming, ecc.). This prevent spend money for CD or DVD.
5. Communication between leaders of different unit. Means Bishop's council in a stake, as mine, with undreds of kilometer distance between units.
I'll add later.
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
DeeGardiner

Post by DeeGardiner »

Our stake has been evaluating this same question and has finally decided to move forward with an Internet installation to each building. I think most our reasons have already been stated, but here is our list:

- Faster MLS transmissions. All of the clerks will appreciate this - especially on Sunday after completing the finances.

- Bishop access to on-line missionary applications.

- Clerk access to the stake/ward website so they can keep it up to date.

- Access to the building scheduling calendar on the ward website. (we aren't yet using this capability, but we are getting ready to start using it).

- Instructor use for lessons (particularly family history).

- But the big one for us that justifies the expense is video streaming of stake conference to a second building. In the past we have been paying about $2000 per conference to hire a company to set up a microwave link. That is $4000 per year. We can pay for DSL to all of our buildings for less than $2000 per year.

Also, a secondary question that should be considered along with Internet access is wireless access. We have chosen to have wireless in each building so that lessons can be taught in some of the larger classrooms. We also want wireless coverage in the stake suite and bishop office areas for those that use their personal laptops to help with their duties.
eyoungberg-p40

Post by eyoungberg-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm going to nit-pick here: Can you show me where that's part of the church's Family History SS core curriculum? I can understand how that's desirable and teachers want to teach that. I just have a problem with the word "required" in that sentence. If it were truly required, the church would have provided a machine and connection a long time ago.

But the ability to teach the website along with the rest of the ideas are duly noted and appreciated.

Sorry, I didn't mean to say anything like I was trying to state policy. I should have stated desired from the teachers standpoint, required by my leadership. To my knowledge, the core Family History SS program has the teachers concentrating on PAF for the 6 or 8 weeks of its run length. Didn't mean to ruffle any feathers.

Eric
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

eyoungberg wrote:Sorry, I didn't mean to say anything like I was trying to state policy.
And I didn't mean to come cross that harsh, but I didn't want anyone thinking it was a church requirement. :)

I do have a personal concern that some spend too much on teaching the computer and not enough on sound genealogy practice. Things like evaluating sources or determining if two people the same or not. As we move to a collaborative work, that becomes even more important.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RutzJW

Administrative computer replacement frequency

Post by RutzJW »

RussellHltn wrote:About a year later, the church announced the 5-year replacement plan.... And since they were all 400MHz, we all got new machines a year later....Sometimes it does pay to be a Luddite.

As an FM luddite (and former ward clerk), please allow me to share with you a new process that most STS and clerks in my area, seem happy with. Rather than wait for a "subjective" replacement period, we now keep in our FM group a spare "new-in the box" administrative computer w/ monitor for quick replacement of an unrepairable system (over $150 parts and labor). This process also eliminates 1) the need for premature replacement of systems or components, and 2) the big "5 year hit" on the FM operating budgets. :eek:

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”