MLS 2.9 Installation Problems

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

opee wrote:Our Stake used local funds to purchase the RAM for the Stake and unit computers. I think that is where the money should come from.
If you use "should" as in "in compliance with current policy" then that would be correct. I would also agree that if the ward/stake needs more memory because of some programs they have added to the computer, then I think it's only fair they pay for the upgrade.

However, if more memory is required to properly run church-suppled programs on church-supplied machines, I think the funds should come from CHQ rather then come from the funds the stake is to use to fund member activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

RussellHltn wrote:If you use "should" as in "in compliance with current policy" then that would be correct. If the ward/stake needs more memory because of some programs they have added to the computer, then I think it's only fair they pay for the upgrade.

However, if more memory is required to properly run church-suppled programs on church-supplied machines, I think the funds should come from CHQ rather then come from the funds the stake is to use to fund member activities.
I wholeheartedly agree with this. For units that have tight budgets any unforseen expenses such as hardware upgrades to computers just to be able to run Church required software puts us (them) in an untenable situation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

jdlessley wrote:Just out of curiousity - what is the computer model and configuration? Our stake and wards have Dell Optiplex GX 270s and 280s with only 256 MB of RAM. Even with the install completed from an mls.lds.org download there were long periods of apparent inactivity. Patience is definitely needed here.

We are waiting for our 5 year replacements next year to solve a lot of configuration issues.
It looks like you could Quadruple the amount of memory you have in those machines for just $33.

I realize it is $33 multiplied by however many machines are in the stake ... but $33 per machine would equal instantaneous time savings for the poor clerks who are dealing with 256M machines. They could all go home to their families earlier. Everyone would benefit. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

dwterry wrote:It looks like you could Quadruple the amount of memory you have in those machines for just $33.
Uhhhhh, that's laptop memory.

dwterry wrote:Everyone would benefit.
As long as this is "extra" money and none has to be taken away from someone else to fund this.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

RussellHltn wrote:Uhhhhh, that's laptop memory.
RussellHltn wrote:Everyone would benefit
As long as this is "extra" money and none has to be taken away from someone else to fund this.

jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

dwterry wrote:It looks like you could Quadruple the amount of memory you have in those machines for just $33.

I realize it is $33 multiplied by however many machines are in the stake ... but $33 per machine would equal instantaneous time savings for the poor clerks who are dealing with 256M machines. They could all go home to their families earlier. Everyone would benefit. :)
I have already researched the cost. I came up with only 12.99 per computer from Crucial. However that money has to come from someone elses buget allocation however small it may seem. Since I did not anticipate a hardware upgrade I did not submit a budget allocation request to our stake president last year for this year's budget. Therefore he is unwilling to rob Peter to pay Paul. By the time I get the funds to buy the added memory we will be receiving replacement computers.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
dwterry-p40

Post by dwterry-p40 »

RussellHltn wrote:Uhhhhh, that's laptop memory.
Oops! I was just quickly looking to find what 1G of memory might cost. Well if it's laptop memory for that price, then it ought to be even cheaper desktop machines. I was just thinking that, at $33 per machine, it seems like a drop in the bucket ... shouldn't be too hard to find monies to cover something that can have such a BIG improvement in the lives of others.

Has anyone suggested contacting Church Headquarters for a reimbursement after upgrading their machines?
happy1z

Post by happy1z »

In reality you can minimize the upgrades by upgrading one computer to 1 gig then using the old ram from that computer to bump another up to 512mb. The computers we have came shipped with 4 dimm slots and only 2 are populated with 128mb modules. For most cases 512mb is plenty for the current implementation of MLS on the ward level. This way you only have to purchase the upgrade for 1/2 the computers. There you go 50% savings. :)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

For best performance you want to install modules in pairs. It will run on one, but at reduced performance.

So to use the method that happy-one outlined, you will want to buy two 256MB modules.

Note that these new modules won't run in the new computers being shipped. So they'll have no use once the machine is retired.

crislapi

Reply, finally

Post by crislapi »

jdlessley wrote:Just out of curiousity - what is the computer model and configuration? Our stake and wards have Dell Optiplex GX 270s and 280s with only 256 MB of RAM. Even with the install completed from an mls.lds.org download there were long periods of apparent inactivity. Patience is definitely needed here.

Sorry for the delay. Here's the info you requested:
Dell Optiplex GX270
Celebron CPU 2.4 GHz
256 Mb Ram (I'm guessing this is what caused my problem!)

Looks like that's the same computer as you!

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”