Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
chadpetty

Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by chadpetty »

Why aren't we seeing the hymn lyrics on screen during the congregational hymns today (Apr 1) during general conference? That was very helpful, especially when trying to sing in a dark chapel. Anyone know the reason?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Why no hymn lyrics on screen this general conference?

Post by sbradshaw »

I noticed they updated the format of subtitles in general (for example, speakers' names have a blue banner now). I'm guessing the lack of hymn lyrics was something to do with this change; maybe switching over to a new system that isn't fully-featured yet.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

Curious... they had the capability to show the text of President Monson's talk in the Priesthood Session, but not the lyrics for the congregational hymn. Of course, "you" should know the lyrics to Redeemer of Isreal by now. :) I too suspect they've got a new system they're working with. I didn't see if there were hymn lyrics on the monitors inside The Conference Center. I had thought to turn on the lights, especially for the Afternoon Session. No one in the building even remotely knew that hymn. You could have heard a pin drop, but for the sound system. The problem with turning on the lights, our FM group issued consumer projector's display would fade to white.

Let's hope the Sunday session's congregational hymns are super familiar. (ie "I Am A Child of God" or "Love At Home")
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

They were missing from the Women's General Session last week, as well.
WBMcA

Post by WBMcA »

This needs to be quickly corrected. We thougjt in our chapel that maybe we were not hooked up correctly.
WBMcA

Post by WBMcA »

Apparently we fixed it here. If you are connecting to the broadcast by the satellite dish, you need to switch to Internet Only, whatever that means.
emmapanti

Post by emmapanti »

I was saddened the text to hymns missing. Hopefully this will be restored by the October conference. We love to sing along from home, and the text for the less familiar hymns is extremely helpful. Additionally, because it is a worldwide broadcast, many non-members also view our beloved confetence sessions.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

WBMcA wrote:If you are connecting to the broadcast by the satellite dish, you need to switch to Internet Only, whatever that means.
Can you give more details?
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
thekeck

Post by thekeck »

Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf
Hagothsen

Post by Hagothsen »

thekeck wrote:Fun Conference Fact:
We are no longer broadcasting the lyrics to the Congregational Hymn. Why, you ask?
All the world receives the same video feed. We then add over 90 live languages to that video. In a global church, it no longer makes sense to have everyone view the English lyrics on their screen.
So grab your Hymnal, or check out the LDS Music app and sing along in whichever language you prefer! Happy Sunday Morning! #ldsconf
Then... announce the hymn#, or use a lower third graphic.

Return to “General Discussions”