Unauthorized Web Sites?

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:OK, I just tried to post the Family Search Wiki in the "Additional Web Resources, with no sucess so I decided to try your advice and submit some feedback. On the administrators help screen, it says to click on feedback to send a question or comment to Salt Lake. Not so. The feedback link on both ward and stake web sites sends a note back to me as the stake administrator.( I tried to answer my own question but it didn't work) :) So I called the 800 number. None of the menu items listed had any connection to the LUWS. So exactly how do I get feedback to LUWS tech people?
Send feedback by clicking the Feedback link from the Stake Admin page (the green pages, not the blue pages). That will go to CHQ.

The Feedback link on the blue pages for Ward or Stake, or the green pages for the Ward will all go to stake administrators. But the stake admin page Feedback link does indeed go to CHQ (and I have used it and gotten replies).
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

zaneclark wrote:OK, I just tried to post the Family Search Wiki in the "Additional Web Resources, with no sucess so I decided to try your advice and submit some feedback. On the administrators help screen, it says to click on feedback to send a question or comment to Salt Lake. Not so. The feedback link on both ward and stake web sites sends a note back to me as the stake administrator.( I tried to answer my own question but it didn't work) :) So I called the 800 number. None of the menu items listed had any connection to the LUWS. So exactly how do I get feedback to LUWS tech people?
I was curious myself so I bounced around the different pages associated with lds.org checking to see to whom the feedback would go. I decided to try the administrators page for the LUWS. The feedback on a green administrator page says
Your message will be sent to Church headquarters.
That is where I would send the message.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Alan_Brown wrote:Send feedback by clicking the Feedback link from the Stake Admin page (the green pages, not the blue pages). That will go to CHQ.

The Feedback link on the blue pages for Ward or Stake, or the green pages for the Ward will all go to stake administrators. But the stake admin page Feedback link does indeed go to CHQ (and I have used it and gotten replies).
Thank you! I guess that was the only feedback link I hadn't tried. Now if they will just address the problem of posting church web links on the ward web site......
daddy-o-p40

Post by daddy-o-p40 »

Russell, Good links. Thanks!
"What have I done for someone today?" Thomas Monson
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

Phyl wrote:For our additional web resources, I have the following links posted on our Stake homepage:

Faith in Christ - learn more about Jesus and his teachings
Encyclopedia of Mormonism
LDS Tech - This web site is designed to give you a glimpse into the technical computer work that the Church does and how you can get involved.
Part-time Missionary Service Opportunities in the Sacramento Area
American River Institute of Religion
LDS Online Distribution Center
For the Strength of Youth
Disability Resources

I must admit that I had to request the Encyclopedia be added to the approved list, and my request was granted.
Just curious, but where did you send a request to get the Encyclopedia approved?
zaneclark

Reply from Salt Lake

Post by zaneclark »

I just received this reply from SL in regards to the problem of posting the links to some church sponsored websites on the ward web site:

"Brother Clark:

We are aware of this issue and the programmers will be adding them as "authorized" sites, hopefully soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

MSR Support Staff -ccw"

The specific sites I inquired about were the 2 for Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Monson and the Family Search Wiki... Good News!
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

zaneclark wrote:I just received this reply from SL in regards to the problem of posting the links to some church sponsored websites on the ward web site:

"Brother Clark:

We are aware of this issue and the programmers will be adding them as "authorized" sites, hopefully soon. We apologize for the inconvenience.

MSR Support Staff -ccw"

The specific sites I inquired about were the 2 for Pres. Hinckley and Pres. Monson and the Family Search Wiki... Good News!
Success!! I just loaded the site for President Monson and some Family Search sites to the "additional web resources." The authorization has come through as promised! Thank you!
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

zaneclark wrote:Success!! I just loaded the site for President Monson and some Family Search sites to the "additional web resources." The authorization has come through as promised! Thank you!
Before you celebrate too wildly ;), make sure your firewall is still working properly by testing it against a known blocked site, like gambling.com. We thought we had a similar problem solved once, only to find the firewall was letting everything through. :eek: We were real surprised. (Turned out the Websense site was either offline, or at least not functioning correctly at the time, so it wasn't our fault.)

Along that line, would it be wise to suggest a weekly test for all installations that people reading this forum can easily put their hands on? It's very easy and fast and will probably give us enough of a cross-sample to build a high confidence level. (Or not.) How else can we determine if the firewall is really doing its job?

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

zaneclark wrote:Success!! I just loaded the site for President Monson and some Family Search sites to the "additional web resources." The authorization has come through as promised! Thank you!
Mikerowaved wrote:Before you celebrate too wildly ;), make sure your firewall is still working properly by testing it against a known blocked site, like gambling.com. We thought we had a similar problem solved once, only to find the firewall was letting everything through. :eek: We were real surprised. (Turned out the Websense site was either offline, or at least not functioning correctly at the time, so it wasn't our fault.)

Zane was talking about the LUWS capability for adding sites to the Additional Web Resources area of the stake or ward site. Only limited sites can be added there. Theoretically all Church sites should be accepted, but Zane had found some that were rejected, even thought they were official sites.

What he is discussing has nothing to do with firewalls, Websense, and the like.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Alan_Brown wrote:What he is discussing has nothing to do with firewalls, Websense, and the like.
Oops :o. Thanks Alan. That's what I get for trying to multitask too many things.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”