MLS Print Help

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

In the past, I've used the LJ 4 driver. I've seen messages that indicate someone else using the 1100 used the 1100 (MS) driver. It's been a long time since we've gone though the printing hassles with MLS. Either driver or lower resolution has always worked before.

That's why I'm wondering if there's an issue with the way it's being tested. The changes are not taking effect. It not like computers have never done that before. :rolleyes:
EVWYSTK-p40

Post by EVWYSTK-p40 »

thedqs--I understand what you are saying. I will print to a file and then try printing the file to the printer. I also have to install Desktop 5.5 on a system which uses a Lexmark printer. I will report the results. We have now installed more ram on both the computers and the HP 1100's-- and were not able to see a noticeable difference. We are still at 4 to 5 minutes per page--on both 1100's. The 1300's are slow, but not much more, if at all, than before the install. So--if the problem is with MLS or the computer, why does it appear to work fine on the 1300's. If the problem is with the 1100's, why do they print fine in Calendar Creator or Open Office? Because we don't have a lot of time to troubleshoot this, we are looking at upgrading the 1100 printers this coming week.
EVWYSTK-p40

Post by EVWYSTK-p40 »

I think after choosing to print, MLS asks which printer to use--which shows which driver is being used.????? Is this correct?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Well, give this a shot. You will need a yahoo login.

Disclaimer: This group is not an official group.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

EVWYSTK wrote:I think after choosing to print, MLS asks which printer to use--which shows which driver is being used.????? Is this correct?
I may be thinking of an older version of MLS. I seem to remember something about it and the default. But it's been awhile since I did the initial install.
rpyne

Post by rpyne »

One of the problems that has caused a great slowdown with the installation of Desktop 5.5 is that now with LANdesk and Norton loading on startup, you are out of physical memory before you ever load an application. The default Church computers only come with 256M of memory. If you take a look at the Windows Task Manager performance tab you will see that before you ever start up MLS you are already using about 246 Meg of Page File (disk swap memory). This means that any application you run has to swap more of the system out to disk which slows thing down dramatically. Add to that the enormous size of any printing done from MLS because it prints everything as a graphic image and you simply do not have enough memory. While changing to a lower resolution print driver should definitely help, the only real cure is to add memory and to use a third party defrag program that will defrag the page file since the default MS defragmentor will not.
Daryl1

Post by Daryl1 »

We have solved our printing problems throughout the Stake. As mentioned earlier in this thread. Yes it is true that the physical memory shipped with the new computers is not enough now since the new udates of MLS 2.4.3. and the system desktop changes.

Norton is good but uses lots of memory and resources and is known for computer slow downs in the industry. Mcafee has the same problem uses lots of memory and resources. I am not advocating any products just stating facts about the technical side and showing another example.

We have fixed all of the units currently by using the following
Use 1100 (MS) must have ms version.
Driver name: UNIDRV.DLL
Driver Version: 5.00.
Environment: Windows NT x86
Then set the printer dpi (dots per inch) to 300 not the 600
. The 1100 printers will then work properly and print fast. We use 600 dpi only to print the certificates on special 100% cotton paper like the money, them I always return the setting to 300 dpi. If you leave the setting on the 600 dpi and forget to return it to 300 dpi it will take hours to print anything else. It will print stop print stop etc...

This is the cure for units that have HP Laserjet 1100's still in operation. We hope to update all printers in the Stake unit sometime in the future. The 1100's have come to the end of their useful life.

The above info was taken from the Windows XP Printer Test Page.

Has anyone had problems with the new up to date laserjet printers?

Thank you
jfackerson

Post by jfackerson »

Agree. We've since upgraded PC RAM from 286 Megabytes to 4 Gigabytes.
I know that only about 3 Gigs can be used by Windows XP, but we've maxed our system
with extra RAM, anyway.

After RAM upgrade, ...No more problem with print jobs going over a minute, or just hanging
or for that matter, windows opening and closing slowly. Even boot up and shut down are faster.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”