LDS Extended Access is quite restricted

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

Techgy wrote:My hands are tied at this end as far as trying to get a decent Internet signal into a couple of buildings.
My other question is why is it absolutely necessary to reach TimeWarner's site from within the Church's internet connection? Can you not request Tech Support from your internet connection at home?
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

I see where you're coming from in regards to accessing the TW site, but it's been my experience that when you're dealing with an Internet connection that you have to have access to the domain that's providing the service. If I was experiencing a problem with the connection I would expect to be in front of the computer that's having the problem and not at my home.

Now I must admit that I don't know if the blocking of timewarnercable.com would also block the Internet service, but I'm guessing that it would. Does anyone have an answer to this? Is there anyone who's using http://timewarnercable.com for their ISP?

I've already suggested that the domain of timewarnercable.com be categorized differently but they said it was properly categorized and it sounded to me as if they had no intention of making any changes.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:I see where you're coming from in regards to accessing the TW site, but it's been my experience that when you're dealing with an Internet connection that you have to have access to the domain that's providing the service.

Now I must admit that I don't know if the blocking of timewarnercable.com would also block the Internet service, but I'm guessing that it would. Does anyone have an answer to this? Is there anyone who's using http://timewarnercable.com for their ISP?

I've already suggested that the domain of timewarnercable.com be categorized differently but they said it was properly categorized and it sounded to me as if they had no intention of making any changes.
If there is a required connection to the ISP's domain, it would be at the cable modem, which is outside the firewall. Any access to the ISP's domain from inside the firewall would seem to be optional, such as support issues. I certainly sympathize -- this sounds like a significant hassle -- but it does seem like the blocking of the TW site inside the firewall would not prevent you from using that ISP.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

Techgy wrote:Now I must admit that I don't know if the blocking of timewarnercable.com would also block the Internet service, but I'm guessing that it would. Does anyone have an answer to this?
If you're trying to troubleshoot internet connectivity you can bypass the ASA firewall to see if there is an issue from the modem back to the ISP. That way you can rule that out or get the issue narrowed down to something other than the firewall. Just remember this is for trouble shooting purposes only and the Church provided firewall should remain in place for all other operations. I wouldn't use an administrative computer to do this troubleshooting either.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm sure you can get service even if access to the main web page is blocked, however, I'd still want to be able to access my own ISPs troubleshooting/resource page.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

Somewhat back on topic, I have received word from two different people now at GSD that they are working on another level of access for the ASA firewall, similar to what the PIX currently offers. No word yet as to when it will be ready, or even if this option will be available to non-Family History sites. Just thought I would toss that out for those having blocked-page problems with the LDS Extended Access.

Mike
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Mikerowaved wrote:Somewhat back on topic, I have received word from two different people now at GSD that they are working on another level of access for the ASA firewall, similar to what the PIX currently offers. No word yet as to when it will be ready, or even if this option will be available to non-Family History sites. Just thought I would toss that out for those having blocked-page problems with the LDS Extended Access. Mike
Mike - this sounds like there's some light at the end of the tunnel after all. IMHO I probably jumped onto the bandwagon a little too early. What I should have done was wait a few months for the initial onslaught of problems to be resolved and then ordered the firewalls.

Just for the record, I totally agree that there needs to be some restrictions. However, I also strongly support the idea that there needs to be some additional thought given to what's being blocked and a method of unblocking that's effective. ISP's in general should not be blocked. I'm sure I could come up with a list of suggestions but they didn't ask me so.....:)

Please keep us posted.

Regards,
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

RussellHltn wrote:I'm sure you can get service even if access to the main web page is blocked, however, I'd still want to be able to access my own ISPs troubleshooting/resource page.
Russell,

We currently get our DSL in three of four buildings in our stake from AT&T (formerly SBC). Even though their sites are blocked by the firewall we still receive the DSL, so I assume that same analogy would apply to ordering cable through TimeWarner - that even though their web site is blocked the cable signal wouldn't be. We have problems with getting a reliable DSL in two of our building and are considering going to cable internet.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:We currently get our DSL in three of four buildings in our stake from AT&T (formerly SBC). Even though their sites are blocked by the firewall we still receive the DSL, so I assume that same analogy would apply to ordering cable through TimeWarner - that even though their web site is blocked the cable signal wouldn't be. We have problems with getting a reliable DSL in two of our building and are considering going to cable internet.
Perhaps my previous post was not clear. There is absolutely no way that the firewall (regardless of its filtering level) can affect the way the modem connects to the ISP, because the firewall is not involved in that part of the network. Put simply, the network looks like:

Internet -- Modem -- Firewall -- Church PCs, WAPs, etc.

So the Firewall can and does affect what parts of the Internet the Church PCs can see, but can't possibly affect how the Modem connects to the Internet.

The only possible impact of the firewall on your interaction with your ISP (which I and others have mentioned) is that you might not be able to use a Church PC to browse to the ISP's support web site for ISP-related help and resources. But that is an inconvenience, not a barrier.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

The problems with DSL connectivity have been moved to a new thread HERE, as it was diverting from the original topic.

Mike

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”