MLS bugs -- Russia

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
aspencer

MLS bugs -- Russia

Post by aspencer »

I am clerk for a branch in Russia, where we've had to revert back to MLS from LCR because of new laws on the books. However, there are some serious bugs in the (reverted) MLS 3.8.5 system.
1) Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching are not recorded. I can enter visits in, but they are not saved. All my stats are coming up 0%
2) Out-of-unit members. These were easy in LCR, but in MLS, I can't give them callings without manually entering their ordinance history...
3) Family History. Instead of Family History, the menu shows "?o2480", and I can't give any callings under this category. I only know it's Family History because of callings that were carried over from before the reversion to MLS from LCR.
eblood66

Re: MLS bugs -- Russia

Post by eblood66 »

2) It's possible that something has changed/broke in a recent MLS after callings moved to LCR but prior to that you only had to enter ordinances if the calling required an ordinance (like for Bishopric, clerks, EQ presidency or HP group leadership). For other callings you could leave it out and still record the calling. And even for callings that required a specific priesthood, you only had to enter the last ordination, not the entire history. But it was always more work to enter out-of-unit callings in MLS. I don't expect they will do anything about that.

As for the other problems, you probably need to speak to your administrative office or Local Unit Support for guidance on how to use MLS in your circumstances. They can submit requests to the developers. Unless one of the developers happens to stop by you're unlikely to get an official response here. Even then he would probably need something entered by LUS.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Out of unit members became a lot easier with Leader and Clerk Resources. I would hate to go back to the MLS way!
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aspencer wrote:I am clerk for a branch in Russia, where we've had to revert back to MLS from LCR because of new laws on the books. However, there are some serious bugs in the (reverted) MLS 3.8.5 system.
We are aware that there will be some issues. Some of those may be resolved, but there is still work going on here to work through this process.
aspencer wrote:1) Home Teaching and Visiting Teaching are not recorded. I can enter visits in, but they are not saved. All my stats are coming up 0%
Start with your service center on this one. They can help isolate the issues and submit the bug to be reviewed. There is no guarantee it will be fixed, but that will at least get it to the right people.
aspencer wrote:2) Out-of-unit members. These were easy in LCR, but in MLS, I can't give them callings without manually entering their ordinance history...
The out-of-unit member functionality in MLS is completely different from what is in LCR. LCR is "sharing" the membership records between wards. (That's quite an oversimplification, but it is close enough for this discussion.)

When you add an out-of-unit member record in MLS, you're adding a record to the local database and you don't get the detail from the membership record. What you're experiencing (ordinance history has to be entered before you can add a priesthood calling) is the way that things work in MLS. There aren't likely to be any changes here.
aspencer wrote:3) Family History. Instead of Family History, the menu shows "?o2480", and I can't give any callings under this category. I only know it's Family History because of callings that were carried over from before the reversion to MLS from LCR.
If we are remembering correctly, doing a full refresh should resolve this. If not, contact the service center for help working through it.
aspencer

Post by aspencer »

What do you mean by "full refresh"?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Here's some info about the "Unit Data Refresh" option, which I'm guessing scgallafent is referring to: http://tech.lds.org/wiki/Unit_data_refresh
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
aspencer

Post by aspencer »

I see. But it's not a data issue, it's a program issue. How would a data refresh help?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

aspencer wrote:I see. But it's not a data issue, it's a program issue. How would a data refresh help?
It looks to be an issue with the calling data. (The list of callings is not hard-coded.) Data refresh includes the list of callings.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

aspencer wrote:I see. But it's not a data issue, it's a program issue. How would a data refresh help?
It's not a program issue -- it's a data issue. The organization names ("Family History," in this case) are stored in the database so that they can be localized. The fact that you're seeing ?o2480 tells me that the string that identifies that particular suborganization does not exist in your database for the language you are using, so the system is falling back to that default string. Either the strings haven't been correctly sent to your instance of MLS or, possibly, that string didn't get localized in the places needed to get it to MLS. Requesting a refresh will get a fresh copy of those strings. If that doesn't resolve it, you may need to have the service center investigate and send it up for review.
aspencer

Post by aspencer »

Really? Stored with the data, instead of in localization tables? Ok.............

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”