java.lang.NullPointerException

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
songc

Post by songc »

We have a problem with logging into MLS.
The initial problem with our MLS computer started with the hard disk running out of disk space (0Gb). Whenever we tried to perform a Send/Receive on MLS, it came back with an error. We eventually found out that the Windows updates temporary cab files was taking up all the disk space. We cleared the temporary cab files from the C:\Windows\Temp directory and that gave us back our disk space.

Now we have another problem. Whenever we try to log into MLS and after entering the user name and password, it came back with the exception below:

The following serious error occurred while attempting to log in:
This is a serious problem that will prevent you from logging in until it is resolved.

We have tried all the suggestions below in the MLS Support forum for "java.lang.NullPointerException" error but is still unable to resolve the problem:

1. Install MLS on top of the current installation.
2. Uninstall MLS and then re-installing MLS.
3. Restore the data from an older backup.

We are running MLS 3.8.5_23949 October 26. 2016 on Windows 7.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: java.lang.NullPointerException

Post by russellhltn »

I'm surprised you ran out of disk space. I think typical units only run 25% full. I have to wonder if you don't have something else contributing to the lack of space.

I'm not sure what to suggest about getting MLS running. You may have to wait until support opens on Monday.

What you can try is renaming the LDS Church folder under C:\ProgramData. That will clear out all the data and MLS should act like a new machine. Then you should be able to restore a backup from before the disk got full.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
songc

Post by songc »

Thank you so much for your prompt reply. We did try to rename the C:\ProgramData of the MLS data files and then copying the backup data to the folder, but that didn't fix the problem either.

The lack of space is not a problem anymore since we cleared the build up of temp files.
We have run the virus checker and also run chkdsk, but that didn't bring up any issues.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Does MLS require a specific version of Windows? Maybe Windows hasn't been able to update like it's supposed to.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm thinking you may have to uninstall MLS and then nuke any remaining portions found in ProgramData and Program Files (x86).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
songc

Post by songc »

Thank you for the suggestion. Uninstalling MLS, clearing any old leftover files and data and then re-installing MLS again fixed the “java.lang.NullPointerException” problem.

We can now log onto MLS successfully. Unfortunately we now have a new error. When we try to perform a Send/Receive we get the following error:

An error occurred while transmitting. Contact your stake clerk if you are unable to transmit after multiple attempts. The stake clerk should contact support if he needs assistance to resolve transmission problems.
Error: 2 "Unauthorized"

I have contacted our Stake Clerk, but he hasn't responded yet. What do we need to do to get past this error?

It is getting urgent now as the end of the financial year is 1 day away and we haven't been able to Send/Receive for over a month.

Thank you so much for your help.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Call Local Unit Support and ask for a password reset.
songc

Post by songc »

Thanks for your help. It's all good now after we have received a security token reset from our Local Unit Support.
johnshaw

Post by johnshaw »

There is a larger problem here... can't send/receive for over a Month. SLC should've had something trigger them, the local unit clerks and stake clerks not engaging an STS, what is going on in this stake/ward?

I've noticed a VERY disturbing trend, in my own stake even, that more and more we're wanting/expecting to fix everything ourselves. Why, when people have callings in this kind of an area are they not engaged. I had a ward in a simlar situation where ward members (who are computer people) were replacing NIC's, adding ram, replacing HD, etc... without engaging an STS.... if there is no STS the stake clerk is responsible. The WARD CLERK is NOT responsible for the computer. This is ALL detailed in Policy and Training documents, it's been standardized for years now... weird.....

1 Month of not sending/receiving... that's insane.

Just saying...
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

johnshaw wrote:There is a larger problem here... can't send/receive for over a Month. SLC should've had something trigger them, the local unit clerks and stake clerks not engaging an STS, what is going on in this stake/ward?
Many years ago we had a building with three units that did not do an MLS send/receive for six weeks. During that time we were unsuccessfully trying to work some communication/login issues. Headquarters said some very unkind things to me about the situation and I began using my current motto: "If I had a nickel for every time the help desk told me something should or should not work that way, I would have retired years ago."

At one point I was working directly with the MLS developer, editing files and trying to manually login to the servers. Finally, with some very high-level communications support, the problem was resolved.

During that process, I was told that the 2nd Sunday a unit does not transmit deposit information, a flag goes up that is reviewed on Monday morning and someone is assigned to resolve the issue.

That process did not work back then, and I added a couple of virtual nickels to my retirement fund in the conversations that ensued. I suspect I could add a few more if the discussion were to continue today.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”