MLS dropdown list not showing standard callings

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
jworth1

MLS dropdown list not showing standard callings

Post by jworth1 »

I have experienced this problem before but not sure I have the instructions without calling SLC so I thought I would ask here first.
When trying to log into MLS, the dropdown menu that lists the standard callings who should have access to MLS does not show bishopric 1st councilor. I know that a index file needs to be deleted and to create a new one or even step back to a previous version of the file if it is still available.
I searched on lds.org in the help area and didn't see any posts covering this issue.
If such a printed solution is available on this forum, I would greatly appreciate receiving that.

Thanks
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: MLS dropdown list not showing standard callings

Post by russellhltn »

jworth1 wrote:When trying to log into MLS, the dropdown menu that lists the standard callings who should have access to MLS does not show bishopric 1st councilor.
Uhhhh, that's not a position list - that's a list of users. While some units create logins with names of positions, that's not proper. See Maintain MLS User Access for details.

User accounts are tied to specific members of the ward. I'm not sure what happens if the person they're tied to moves out.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jworth1

Post by jworth1 »

I am the stake clerk and I think both the stake computer and the ward computer that has the issue uses the position to sign in and that is where the drop down list comes into play. It was already setup that way when we received it.
eblood66

Post by eblood66 »

MLS does not come with any users already configured on initial install. So somebody must have entered those positions as users. It may have been some time ago because even if you received a new computer the user names would be restored when the backup from the old computer was restored.

Someone with admin rights in MLS needs to log into MLS and select Edit > System Options from the menu. It should show all the users in the system. In your case it sounds like this list probably consists of calling names. The 1st councilor's account has probably been inactivated but should show up in the list. If it's been inactivated then there should be a Restore link to the right which will reactivate it.

But as russellhltn says, this configuration does not follow policy. I would recommend renaming each of the users based on the person currently in the position and then in the future users should be inactivated when they are released and a new user created (using their name for the user name) for the next person called.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”