No gospel library app through Kindle fire

Any discussions around the Gospel Library App on various mobile and electronic devices.
fritty

Re: No gospel library app through Kindle fire

Post by fritty »

I am not sure what happened but it installed today and now my wife is a happy camper..............
clachery

Post by clachery »

Gospel Library on my kindle fire was working, but magazines and conference had not updated since June. I deleted and tried to reinstall and it says "not compatible with my device". I can install version 1.0, but when I open it, it says "application has stopped unexpectedly". How can I get the newer version to be compatible? My kindle version is 6.3.4. Thanks
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

clachery wrote:Gospel Library on my kindle fire was working, but magazines and conference had not updated since June. I deleted and tried to reinstall and it says "not compatible with my device". I can install version 1.0, but when I open it, it says "application has stopped unexpectedly". How can I get the newer version to be compatible? My kindle version is 6.3.4. Thanks
Based on this list of Fire OS versions, Fire OS 6.3.4 is based on Android 2.3. The current version of Gospel Library – Gospel Library 4 – requires Android 4.0 or greater (see this post).
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
rbc64

Post by rbc64 »

I called Amazon Customer Service and got the help I needed to download the Gospel Library App on my Kindle Fire HD10. The first thing I did was open my Kindle and select "Settings." Then I clicked on the "APP" menu item and uninstalled any instance of the Gospel Library that was on the Kindle. Then, I logged into my Amazon.com account on my laptop and did a search for the Gospel Library App. Having found it, I clicked on the menu item that said "Deliver to KindleFireHD10." (NOTE: I have a different name for my Kindle Fire which showed up in the menu item that I clicked. You will probably have a different name for yours as well.) Then I opened my Kindle Fire, went to settings, opened the "apps" menu item to confirm that the Gospel Library App was delivered there from my account. Having confirmed that it had delivered properly, I was instructed to shut down my Kindle Fire and reopen (reboot) it. Much to my delight, the App worked just fine. Hope this helps.
goodnews

Post by goodnews »

I just bought a Kindle Fire with gift cards for the main purpose of using it on LDS.org for all the Gospel Library! Now what can we expect do you suppose?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

goodnews wrote:I just bought a Kindle Fire with gift cards for the main purpose of using it on LDS.org for all the Gospel Library! Now what can we expect do you suppose?
Since you just bought it, it should be fine. At least until it's rendered obsolete by the passage of time.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jazzfanok

Post by jazzfanok »

I have original kindle fire and noticed last ensign was July 2017. Couldn't get newer so decided to uninstall. Big mistake now it's gone and I can't get it back. Is this something the app author is choosing to not update for older kindles? Is there any hope of getting it back?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

jazzfanok wrote:I have original kindle fire and noticed last ensign was July 2017. Couldn't get newer so decided to uninstall. Big mistake now it's gone and I can't get it back. Is this something the app author is choosing to not update for older kindles? Is there any hope of getting it back?
The Amazon Appstore currently only distributes the latest versions of Gospel Library. You could try installing the Google Play store on your Kindle, which distributes older versions of Gospel Library to older devices (there are a few tutorials online for how to install Google Play on a Kindle Fire). Unfortunately, it's not the easiest solution for all users, though.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Are the old content provider services still running? If not, then loading the old app isn't going to get very far.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Yes, you won't continue to get new content in the older version of the app, but if you wanted the scriptures at least, installing Google Play may be an option. See this post for more info about content in older versions of Gospel Library for Android.

Return to “Gospel Library”