new FamilySearch API

rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

new FamilySearch API

Post by rmrichesjr »

In another thread, a couple of postings have very briefly mentioned that there will be some sort of API for the new FamilySearch in order to provide more efficient access to the new system by programs other than a web browser. I seem to recall mention that an off-line desktop genealogy record manager could use the API for syncing with FamilySearch.

Is there some information about this API that could be shared?

How soon after the main release of the new FamilySearch will the API be available to use?

Is the API going to be documented for use by open-source or personal projects?

What hoops would a developer or individual have to go through to get documentation and permission to use the API?

Thanks.
ClarkeGJ

FamilySearch API

Post by ClarkeGJ »

FamilySearch API should be released the following release after FamilySearch goes final. The API will include member authentication, read, search, and update all person information. Yes we expect there to be many desktop applications that "sync" with the new FamilySearch using the FamilySearch API. Please contact Gordon Clarke for additional informaiton. clarkegj@ldschurch.org
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager
HaleDN
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by HaleDN »

Is anyone aware of an existing Open Source project which is similar to PAF? I don't believe that the LDS Church has made an official statement that they will no longer be creating PAF updates, but the unofficial rumors suggest this. If the current PAF isn't going to be updated to use the new Family Search APIs, it will quickly become obsolete once Family Search is released from beta.

Rather than depend on only commercial products to fill this gap, I would love to see an Open Source project (even if it has yet to be created) to fill this gap and utilize the new Family Search API.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

haledn wrote:Rather than depend on only commercial products to fill this gap, I would love to see an Open Source project (even if it has yet to be created) to fill this gap and utilize the new Family Search API.
Just as a note there are FREE commercial products that do what PAF does and include the LDS ordnances. No doubt they'll be updated to sync of FS when that becomes available.

Something I feel that's being neglected is the research side of things. Something to take in scraps of information, and make some suggestions. Something that can track what has been searched to avoid duplicate searches. This probably should be something that will run on a PDA since I think it's more commonly used and on-hand then a laptop.
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

gordon wrote:FamilySearch API should be released the following release after FamilySearch goes final. The API will include member authentication, read, search, and update all person information. Yes we expect there to be many desktop applications that "sync" with the new FamilySearch using the FamilySearch API. Please contact Gordon Clarke for additional informaiton. clarkegj@ldschurch.org
Thanks for the info on the API plans. I'll email (if the wind doesn't take out the local power grid).
haledn wrote:Is anyone aware of an existing Open Source project which is similar to PAF? I don't believe that the LDS Church has made an official statement that they will no longer be creating PAF updates, but the unofficial rumors suggest this. If the current PAF isn't going to be updated to use the new Family Search APIs, it will quickly become obsolete once Family Search is released from beta.

Rather than depend on only commercial products to fill this gap, I would love to see an Open Source project (even if it has yet to be created) to fill this gap and utilize the new Family Search API.
One open source program that I like is Gramps. I understand it now runs on that most common operating system as well as on Linux. If it were up to me, I'd use Gramps and not bother with PAF, but my wife didn't want to learn two programs, and PAF is what is available at the FHC, so PAF is what I use so I can maybe help her when she needs assistance.

I saw a posting in another thread in this forum to the effect that the Church is planning to sponsor a project using open-source methods. I believe the term was "desktop record manager" to work with the new FamilySearch. Maybe some of us will be able to help with that project.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

gordon wrote:FamilySearch API should be released the following release after FamilySearch goes final. The API will include member authentication, read, search, and update all person information. Yes we expect there to be many desktop applications that "sync" with the new FamilySearch using the FamilySearch API. Please contact Gordon Clarke for additional informaiton. clarkegj@ldschurch.org
I know you asked to contact you for information but I thought your answer to my questions might interest others. I was wondering if you could give a high level overview of the technical specifications of the API? I'm interested in things like programming language, if there will be web services, how comprehensive the API will be, etc.

Thanks.
greenwoodkl

GEDCOM 6.0 part of new FamilySearch?

Post by greenwoodkl »

I'm just curious if the GEDCOM 6.0 XML Draft Specification has been superseded, absorbed, enveloped, included into the new APIs and structure of the new FamilySearch? Anyone know or can anyone say?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. Last I had heard is that the church had hopped out of the drivers seat on GEDCOM. I forget the exact reason, but it had to do with prioritizing resources.
greenwoodkl

Post by greenwoodkl »

If it's true that the Church has "hopped out of the driver's seat," I haven't heard of anyone else jumping in the open spot. As I understand it, GEDCOM was developed by the church and has become a standard for genealogical programs. If ideas from it have been implemented into the new FamilySearch and its corresponding API, perhaps as the industry tries to be compatible, whatever the FS API is will become a new standard - assuming it's not just an interface but also includes some sort of file format.
ClarkeGJ

Gedcom 6.0

Post by ClarkeGJ »

The Church is not currently doing anything with GEDCOM 6.0 (XML) format. However, our yet-to-be-announce FamilySearch API do use a REST approach with XML-based schemas for data exchange.
Gordon Clarke
FamilySearch DevNet manager

Return to “Software Development”