In its simplest form

If change management is your expertise, we want to know. Share your best practices, actual experience, on managing change in an IT environment.
dlongmore

In its simplest form

Post by dlongmore »

Document, document, document. First you write a plan about what your going to do. Next you write about the experience of carrying out the those plans. Next you analyze and summarize those previous writing in light the newly gained knowledge. Repeat, repeat, Organize, organize. I realize change management is also involves keeping archives of previous releases. The organize part is the real challenge. Determining logical ways of organizing. Organizing the build cycles. Organizing test plans. Organizing refreshing databases, etc.. This project looked like it needed someone to start a post going.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Is this for how to execute change in management? Or how to develop good software? It works for both. :)
- David
Harden-p40

ECM

Post by Harden-p40 »

Mainly how change management works; best practices from a governance view, a process/policy view, from a tools perceptive, from a developer view.

For example:

What tools have you used that work best with Release Management, Configuration Management, moving code from one environment to another for different technology, e.g., Peoplesoft, Oracle, Java, etc...

How is your governance organization structured? What is their relationship with development, operations, etc...

For a given type of change (defect, new project, configuration, Data Model, etc...) what underlying principles control and manage such changes effectively?

Hope that helps.
johnshaw

ITIL Implementations

Post by johnshaw »

dlongmore wrote:Document, document, document. First you write a plan about what your going to do. Next you write about the experience of carrying out the those plans. Next you analyze and summarize those previous writing in light the newly gained knowledge. Repeat, repeat, Organize, organize. I realize change management is also involves keeping archives of previous releases. The organize part is the real challenge. Determining logical ways of organizing. Organizing the build cycles. Organizing test plans. Organizing refreshing databases, etc.. This project looked like it needed someone to start a post going.
I'm unsure how much you at the church have looked into a framework to come up with best practices for the organization, but we've found the principles outlined in the ITIL framework to be very successful. I work in a Managed Hosting facility in the Systems side of the house, but we host our company's developed software for our clients. When implementing these best practices we have found that concentrating on one piece at a time instead of trying to initiate the whole has been helpful. We found what our greatest needs were, prioritized and then went to work implementing. We found our Service Desk (super charged help desk) was our 1st prioritized need, then Change Management (the practice of recording changes to environments), followed closely with Incident and Problem Management. Release Management (rolling out the new version, technology, etc...) is the next in line. ITIL may not be the solution for everyone, but I like it. We have seem great improvement in our SLA's, Availability and internal knowledge base. The business really adapts well when you move from being an 'IT Shop' to an Information Technology Services organization.

If you'd like to contact me off the forum I can let you know which tools we use and how we've liked them.
bhofmann

Post by bhofmann »

I agree that documentation is the key to good management of all aspects of the project. You need good documentation in order to define the scope of the current phase and to measure change requests against. You need documentation that helps define your communication plan which helps identify the true effect of the change. I also agree that you need excellent organization to pull it all together. In the end it doesn't matter what tools you use if you don't have detail oriented, organized people to run it.

Return to “Enterprise Change Management”