Calendar 3.0 - new major version coming

Discussions about the Calendar Tool at lds.org. Questions about the calendar on the classic site should be posted in the LUWS forum.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Calendar 3.0 - new major version coming

Post by CrockettDR »

We are nearing the completion of a very major new version of the calendar. We are hopeful to soon enter a beta with a few limited stakes that our team belongs to. Later we will open it up more, including some of you. This version has taken us a lot longer than we hoped but it is coming.

Some features that quickly come to mind
- Totally mobile responsive
- Modernized look and feel
- Solve so many issues around buildings moving between stakes, units moving between buildings, new buildings, buildings going away, units going away, stake splits, ward splits.
- Better help stake understand the FM building assignments better. Too many stakes have created duplicate building calendars. They will get warning to stop doing that. Will make it easier for them to fix that.
- Reports to easily find lists of events in a building by room, by unit.
- Redo of the Print so it works
- Time zone: Can set your time zone so event times don't move when you travel
- Solve many other problems. Stake turns off scheduling for a building but future events exist, then you can't edit those events. Building moves to new stake and scheduling gets automatically turned off. Ward moves into new stake but users aren't automatically subscribed to the new stake's calendars. Users have no idea how to subscribe to calendars by opening the lefthand pane wider.
- More control on which calendars to sync with 3rd-party calendars.
- Restrictions are still supported but making a few changes so they are less confusing.
- Stake can control which of its units can schedule which building. (Right now all units can schedule all buildings).
- Lots more.

Stay tuned.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Calendar 3.0 - new major version coming

Post by russellhltn »

Well, this is a welcome surprise. I would have thought it would be "all hands" working on the new ministering.

Any chance of seeing the new UI before it gets too set in stone?
CrockettDR wrote:- More control on which calendars to sync with 3rd-party calendars.
The big one for me is to separate iCal sync from the lds.org display and LDS Tools feed.

One thing that has come up is groups that seems to operate on a "if the building isn't scheduled, then I can use it" and then gets surprised when LDS Tools doesn't show the building calendar. However, I'm not sure as I'd want to "fix" that since it would only be a matter of time before you get conflicts between unscheduled activities.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

After the 3.0 release is out and stable we hope to start new work on the LDS Tools mobil app to add building calendars and perhaps allow event creation from the app.
Attachments
cal.jpg
(270.6 KiB) Not downloaded yet
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

The sync improvements mainly include the ability for you to create your own group of calendars to sync instead of just all subscribed calendars. -

Another helpful improvement is to add an event organizer and contact information to the event details instead of just the creator/updater of the event.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Thanks for the update! Excited to see it.
CrockettDR wrote:The sync improvements mainly include the ability for you to create your own group of calendars to sync instead of just all subscribed calendars.
I assume this means that all of the calendars you select will continue to sync as a single calendar, instead of syncing as individual calendars that you can turn on or off in the third-party calendar app... Is that correct?
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
CrockettDR
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by CrockettDR »

Yes, I believe so.
pomz

Post by pomz »

Great to hear that the calendar is getting a "Fresh look and feel" with improvements of how the calendar runs. I was about to offer my design services to design the calendar interface but seems you already on track with that... Currently users can't edit, create events on the mobile app version, on the new update of the calendar will users have the ability to edit, create events on the mobile app ? Or is this more in the future? I can see that you're making the calendar responsive which is fantastic.

Thanks
craiggsmith

Post by craiggsmith »

CrockettDR wrote:After the 3.0 release is out and stable we hope to start new work on the LDS Tools mobil app to add building calendars and perhaps allow event creation from the app.
The addition of the building calendars will be very much appreciated.
Craig
South Jordan, UT
sareid

Post by sareid »

Very excited for calendar updates! And mobile responsiveness. I would be more than happy to assist if any testing if needed for our bishopric.

Would love to see mobile app calendar alerts for alert subscribed calendars.
rbadger

Post by rbadger »

Building Calendars would be welcomed as mentioned aboved as well as being able to use the LDS tools to schedule events. Thanks for all the hard work on this. Not sure if I missed this posted earlier or somewhere else, but any update on when this might be rolling out Church wide? Thanks!

Return to “Calendar”