2-way conferencing for remote island

Discussions about the desktop video conferencing solution provided by the Church

Moderators: MarchantRR, rodhyde

rl_albright

2-way conferencing for remote island

Post by rl_albright »

In my stake we have a remote branch that is located on an island (only transit on/off is via ferry), sometimes the stake holds meetings that they physically cannot come to due to the ferry schedule. We have been doing just one-way broadcast to the island, my stake president has asked me to look into and implement 2-way video conferencing to the island. I utilize some advanced electronics in our building ( :) :) :) ) one of which is the BlackMagic ATEM, it is set for 720p59.97 for the resolution (as that is the only common resolution with the satellite receiver, computers, and cameras), however, I cannot seem to get that output to go into the Vidyo client. On the Vidyo computer, there is a BlackMagic Decklink Mini Recorder, and it's software sees the input just fine. However in the Vidyo client, I get a black screen, which generally indicates resolution mismatch. Is there a way to change the resolution for the camera in the software so that it is expected 720p59.97 as the resolution?

If not, does anyone have any other ideas on how to do 2-way video conferencing between 2 end points with software utilizing BlackMagic Decklink Mini Recorder?
danpass

Re: 2-way conferencing for remote island

Post by danpass »

We also have an ATEM. We had a similar problem, but with inputs to the ATEM. We couldn't get HDMI video sources, like computers, to match the common resolution needed by the ATEM. Eventually a Blackmagic Design support person suggested the DECIMATOR MD-Cross V2 Miniature HDMI/SDI Cross Converter. It works perfectly.
You should be able to connect an SDI program output from your ATEM to the Decimator and get the resolution your Vidyo computer requires, assuming it takes an SDI or HDMI input.
rl_albright

Re: 2-way conferencing for remote island

Post by rl_albright »

Thank you danpass!! Actually on the Vidyo client computer, we set the resolution in the software to 720p and it sees the video perfectly now. (I was also recommended the Decimator device as well, but found a way around it.)

For my other devices that want to input as 1080p, they are fed into my matrix, out into my wirecast computer, then output from that computer as 720p into the ATEM. (Backwards I know, but that way I can handle ANYTHING that is thrown my way. :)

Return to “Personal Video Conferencing”