Expiration of Member Record, no baptism?

Discuss questions around local unit policies for membership (creating records, transferring records, etc.) This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
thebundok

Expiration of Member Record, no baptism?

Post by thebundok »

Hi all,

Second time as Ward Clerk, but still getting my footing (first round wasn't very long). Bishop asked me today "Do you know how long we keep their member record if they are not baptized?" I believe he means if they have a member record (birth blessing for instance) but are never baptized at 8 or later.

Do the records just disappear after they turn 18? Do they remain in our church records indefinitely? Should I be "purging" these records if they're still around (especially if no one knows who the person is)?

Brings up another point about member records. If we do know someone, and where they live but they have absolutely no interest in the church, its members, the missionaries or teachings and have asked us never to visit/call again, do we leave those records where they are or should we be doing something about them?
drepouille

Re: Expiration of Member Record, no baptism?

Post by drepouille »

The standard answer to such questions is, "What does the Handbook say?" Please see Handbook 1, section 13.6.2.

I would also point you to this article in the Help Center:
https://www.lds.org/help/support/canceling-a-record
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thebundok wrote:Brings up another point about member records. If we do know someone, and where they live but they have absolutely no interest in the church, its members, the missionaries or teachings and have asked us never to visit/call again, do we leave those records where they are or should we be doing something about them?
Handbook 1: 16.4

I would suggest spending some time perusing the Handbook. It would help you answer questions as they come up.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jpjones~ogr

Post by jpjones~ogr »

As the handbook indicates, actions regarding such records fall to the Bishop and Stake President. However, my experience has been that conditions associated with these individuals progress tend to be quite sensitive, or at least are perceived to be. My bishops tended to move on to other matters as soon as they reviewed the handbook's instruction.

Missionary work and ministering can lead to miracles.

Return to “Membership Help”