Linking Scriptures

Discussions about the Notes and Journal tool on LDS.org. This includes the Study Toolbar as well as the scriptures and other content on LDS.org that is integrated with Notes and Journal.
mevacor19

Linking Scriptures

Post by mevacor19 »

I primarily use the online version of the scriptures for my personal scripture study. I use Safari on an iMac. I am quite comfortable with highlighting, bookmarking, tagging, and making notes. However, I can't seem to find a way to have one scripture reference another scripture with some sort of a link. Is there any way to do that?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Re: Linking Scriptures

Post by sbradshaw »

It's not currently possible to create links from a highlight to content somewhere else, like you can in the Gospel Library mobile app. But I'm guessing that's one of the features that developers of the new study experience ("Gospel Library Online") are working on.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
mevacor19

Post by mevacor19 »

Thank you. It would be awesome to have.
gbonnell

Post by gbonnell »

I love linking scriptures. I hope there is a way to do that soon. I miss that feature online that I used with my mobile app.
mevans

Post by mevans »

gbonnell wrote:I love linking scriptures. I hope there is a way to do that soon. I miss that feature online that I used with my mobile app.
I primarily do my study on desktop computer with a big screen. I use mobile devices mainly for consumption. I'm not familiar with how the linking works on the mobile devices, but I've been creating links between content on the web version for years just by pasting in the URL of where I want to go. Of course, if the church redoes the URL format, I'm in trouble, but I also try to include notes of where I found it, too. I also find this technique to be helpful when working with other content, such as BYU speeches, as they don't have the note-taking feature. Unfortunately, I can't annotate the speech (and I really wish I could...I just finished studying an awesome BYU speech), but in my notes on several scriptures, I have links back to the speech I studied.

No, it's not perfect, but I've found that this has been helpful to me.
boon70

Post by boon70 »

Yes there is let me show you how but its not user friendly because they don't have anything from the app to make links you have to make them yourself here is an example of one https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... ang=eng#p1 Notice it goes to Helaman 9 notice what it says in the url text. bofm/hel/9. notices this 9. is the chapter then how it references the verses but do take note the dot represents the chapter and all verses are marked. I will also point out you can drop the end part after & this is like telling in the coding include this code which its telling it to display it in English I believe the #p1 means page 1 because I used a search to do this.

So let me show you some examples.

Lets go to 1 Nephi go to 1 Nephi in your scriptures online or a web browser when you look at the url it should look like this https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 3?lang=eng Let say we want to reference just verse 1 You go to the URL and change it to bofm/1-ne/13 to bofm/1-ne/13.1 after you change this in the URL press enter you will now see its marking verse 1. You can now reference this one scripture and send it to all your friends but lets say you want to do verse 1 through 3 because we are not skipping verses you can put a - hyphen in there or minus symbol then put in the number 3 like this bofm/1-ne/13.1-3. As you can see its linking the 3 verses as we wanted but lets say you want to do verse 4 and 8 as well so we go into the URL put bofm/1-ne/13.1-3,4,8 after you push enter notice its now marking verses 4 and 8 also. Have fun. Also those of you that might be multilingual you might like the below as well.

Oh yeah ?lang is telling what language to display it in so lets say you want to send a scripture in some language to someone all you do is change it after the = to display it in there language can be helpful if you don't speak spanish but yet you want to show them it in spanish

Go to this page https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/languages?lang=eng notice it says ?lang=eng So if you want spanish click on espania you will notice it changes to https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/?lang=spa which spa means spanish. So have fun sharing with your friend of different languages. So lets do the above link we made earlier https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 8?lang=eng just change it to this https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 8?lang=spa its now the link you give has the scriptures marked and its in spanish as well.
sterlingwhipple

Post by sterlingwhipple »

Currently, linking scriptures from the church's website is malfunctioning. Can anybody tell me why this is happening and if they have a plan to fix it?

Let me give you an example.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... 1?lang=eng

If you look at the above link, the URL clearly shows that the destination should be D&C 29, verse 1 -- you can tell this because of where it says /dc/29.1?/ . dc = Doctrine & Covenants. 29 = section. 1 = verse. In the past, when this URL would have been entered, it would have loaded the page with verse 1 highlighted with that blue bar next to it. However, try clicking on the link and you'll see that it does not take you to verse 1, but to verse 12. It even changes the URL on its own. It doesn't matter what verse you put in the URL, it will load verse 12.

In fact, in the last two weeks, not a single URL that designates a specific verse has worked correctly. This is really obnoxious, as I use verse-specific linking all the time, which means this error has handicapped my study.

Any ideas and why this is happening or when it will be rectified?
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Your best bet would be to send it as feedback at the bottom of the page at Study.ChurchofJesusChrist.org. I've noticed the issue as well.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
daveyharrell

Post by daveyharrell »

I'm begging for this feature also.

I posted feedback.
mevans

Post by mevans »

I've been noticing such strange behavior, too.

Return to “Notes and Journal, and Online Scriptures”