Next Revision Unit Web Sites Wish List

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
Locked
User avatar
dobrichelovek
Member
Posts: 98
Joined: Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:35 pm
Location: Utah, USA

#141

Post by dobrichelovek »

RussellHltn wrote:A few thoughts:

- An administrator going on vacation should probably designate a backup that's more available. I think it would have helped in this situation.

Sure, if the administrator planned on being gone for more than the day or a couple of days, I would expect this might happen, however, in this case the primary administrator had no reason to designate another since the activity of the website is usually pretty slow. What is likely to happen between Friday and Sunday? This is the very reason why the current model, although things could've been handled a little differently, isn't quite right and ought to be modified for the new version. How exactly it should be modified is up to the proper decision makers, but the suggestion below (or above, depending on how your reader is set up) is one viable solution.
RussellHltn wrote:A few thoughts:

- While I like the idea of the submitter being able to cancel, there are a couple of things: One, it should still send a message to the admin so they know what happened. Two, in some situations the event should be flagged canceled rather then just disappear and leave everyone wondering what happened.

Going and improving on ideas? ;) Good job. I wholeheartedly agree that the admin should know what happened, and that events should show their status instead of just disappearing. Perhaps there should be a color code scheme that indicates whether an event has been modified from the original event (yellow or orange) or cancelled (red). In this way it would be simple enough to draw attention to items that have been modified without getting rid of them and people being left out in the dark.
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#142

Post by mkmurray »

dobrichelovek wrote:Perhaps there should be a color code scheme that indicates whether an event has been modified from the original event (yellow or orange) or cancelled (red). In this way it would be simple enough to draw attention to items that have been modified without getting rid of them and people being left out in the dark.
Perhaps even just put a line through the text (strike-through) to indicate that the event has been "crossed-out."
User avatar
srweight
Member
Posts: 87
Joined: Thu Jul 12, 2007 8:55 am
Location: North Ogden UT USA
Contact:

Site Registration - E-Mail Broadcast - Spam

#143

Post by srweight »

I sent out an E-mail Broadcast for Stake Conference yesterday and got this in reply;

Hi, I'm sorry, I don't know who you are or what conference session you are talking about. Do we know you?
-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: S---l W----t <s------t@comcast.net>
> Please come!
>

If only the site required e-mail address conformation to finish regestration for the unit web site this mistake might not have happened.

And I will need to search all users to find and deactivate this account to avoid "Spaming " this person again next time.

Looks like I can use "Search for a member" and search by e-mail address - That's really nice - Thanks

:(
kmalone-p40
Member
Posts: 89
Joined: Sun Jun 22, 2008 5:03 pm

#144

Post by kmalone-p40 »

srweight wrote:I sent out an E-mail Broadcast for Stake Conference yesterday and got this in reply;

Hi, I'm sorry, I don't know who you are or what conference session you are talking about. Do we know you?
-------------- Original message ----------------------
From: S---l W----t <s------t@comcast.net>
> Please come!
>

If only the site required e-mail address conformation to finish regestration for the unit web site this mistake might not have happened.

And I will need to search all users to find and deactivate this account to avoid "Spaming " this person again next time.

Looks like I can use "Search for a member" and search by e-mail address - That's really nice - Thanks

:(

Looks like a missed missionary moment.:p
bdalton
New Member
Posts: 24
Joined: Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:41 pm

#145

Post by bdalton »

Most of the calendar items posted on our web site do not have any further information - things like "Family Home Evening" or "7:00 PM Mutual" or "Ward Temple Day". However, sometimes we do include further details that are visible if the user will click on the title. As the ward web administrator, I have begun using an asterisk at the end of the title to indicate whether there is more information available if you click on the item. This way people don't have to click on every item to find out if there is more info, or worse, simply assume there is no further information.

The problem is that the asterisk is a bit small and is not really a standard. In a future LUWS version, could we indicate more clearly whether a calendar item has further information? Perhaps underlining the title would be a more standardized way of saying "click here for more".
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#146

Post by mkmurray »

I just noticed this hasn't been referenced in this thread yet...

There is a new Wiki page that is keeping track of suggestions and improvements for the Local Unit Web Sites. The thread discussing the purpose of the wiki page (and a link to the page) can be found here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1941
jbh001
Senior Member
Posts: 854
Joined: Thu Mar 13, 2008 6:17 pm
Location: Las Vegas, NV

#147

Post by jbh001 »

Although the service has been having a significant number of start-up glitches, I think that elements of concept behind Apple's MobileMe service would work well with LUWS and MLS, specifically the "cloud" concept.

It would be nice to be able to maintain the LUWS calendar from within MLS.

It would be nice if the ward calendar had more functionallity like iCal, Yahoo Calendars, Google Calendars, Microsoft Outlook, etc., including color coding for different organizations (YM, YW, RS, EQ,HP, Primary, Activities Committee, etc) and the ability of individual members to subscribe to a ward calendar "feed" for their home computer, mobile device, and such.

It would be nice for RS, EQ, and HP organizations to enter visits; view/update/create/delete HT/VT assignments; and print attendance rolls.

It would be nice for LUWS to be able to view/update the the ward/branch callings by organization list.

It would be nice for the ward membership clerk to be able to update membership address and phone numbers from both MLS and LUWS.

It would be nice for LUWS to be able to track sacrament meeting items for historical purposes, such as who spoke, what hymns/music were used, who said the opening and closing prayers, etc. so that the Same Ten People (STP) aren't getting picked on all the time, or the same twenty hymns aren't repeated over and over and over.

It would be nice for members to be able to make electronic donations to the ward/branch via the LUWS. These could be processed via ACH transactions and email services such as PayPal, maybe even via debit/ATM card.

Updates via LUWS would then be sync'd to MLS, and updates via MLS would be sync'd to LUWS.
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15128
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#148

Post by aebrown »

Techgy wrote:I haven't seen this one yet, so here goes one more suggestion.

It would be helpful and less confusing if the ward/stake administrators had the ability to remove or at least turn off from displaying church calendar events if that same event is being handled locally by a calendar entry. Case in point - General Conference shows up on all calendars and always gives the MST of the event.

We place our own entry in the Stake Calendar and have it set to display on all ward calendars giving the local time of the broadcast. We don't need to see the one from HQ and it would be helpful if we could turn it off so that only our own event is displayed. It's much less confusing for members. This same thing occurs on the CES broadcasts, 1st Pres. Christmas, etc, etc.
This thread is getting long, so it's hard to find everything, but this has been requested in this post. Of course, since that was my post, I think your idea is brilliant!
User avatar
mkmurray
Senior Member
Posts: 3233
Joined: Tue Jan 23, 2007 9:56 pm
Location: Utah
Contact:

#149

Post by mkmurray »

Alan_Brown wrote:This thread is getting long, so it's hard to find everything...
Another good reason to begin putting requests into a concise, comprehensive list on the Wiki instead with links back to posts here on the forums for more details. For information about this see my previous post below:
mkmurray wrote:I just noticed this hasn't been referenced in this thread yet...

There is a new Wiki page that is keeping track of suggestions and improvements for the Local Unit Web Sites. The thread discussing the purpose of the wiki page (and a link to the page) can be found here:

http://tech.lds.org/forum/showthread.php?t=1941
User avatar
aebrown
Community Administrator
Posts: 15128
Joined: Tue Nov 27, 2007 8:48 pm
Location: Sandy, Utah

#150

Post by aebrown »

mkmurray wrote:Another good reason to begin putting requests into a concise, comprehensive list on the Wiki instead with links back to posts here on the forums for more details. For information about this see my previous post below:
I have now taken a pass at harvesting information from all the posts in this thread to put on the wiki page. I'm sure there are other threads as well, but hopefully this should be a good start.

I also took the liberty of categorizing the suggestions, since a single list was quickly becoming unwieldy.
Locked

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”