Can't turn off double-sided printing in MLS

Discussions about setup, operation, and maintenance of these devices in meetinghouses other than a FHC
ulupoi

Can't turn off double-sided printing in MLS

Post by ulupoi »

If you print from within MLS, there is no way to change your printer's single-sided/double-sided settings. That can lead to wards having a hard time printing bank deposit statements, checks, etc. The work-around (hard to call it a solution) is to change your printer's default setting to single-sided.

1. Go to Start > Settings > Devices > Printers and scanners
2. Click on your printer and then click "Manage"
3. Click on "Printing preferences"
4. Under "Print on Both Sides," select "None"
5. Click OK.

I encountered this problem with a unit which just got a new computer. Apparently, the default printing preference for their newly installed Xerox Phaser was double-sided, and this caused them problems printing from MLS.
eblood66

Re: Can't turn off double-sided printing in MLS

Post by eblood66 »

Perhaps it's an issue with that specific printer and driver. When I print in MLS it shows the normal print dialog and I can change just about any printer setting.
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

That’s interesting. They’re stuck with Java printing. I’ll have a look at some other unit computers.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

We had the same problem and it was 3 different printer settings that I had to change to fix it altogether (2 software and 1 hardware from the printer itself). Either we did not receive a dialog box when printing the tithing reports, or changing the print setting within it did not work so for a few weeks we had to run to the copier in the media center to copy the page that goes to the bank with the donations.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Post by jdlessley »

The first step to printer issues is to install the latest printer drivers. Then check to see if printing from other applications results in the same problem. If not, then I would install MLS using the installer downloaded from LDS.org and install over the top of the current installation. This ensures the MLS version of the JRE is correctly installed and any corrupt files get replaced.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
ulupoi

Post by ulupoi »

Correction to my original post: As it turns out, when I try to print most stuff from MLS, the normal Windows dialogue box opens, and I can select single- or double-sided. I can only replicate the problem when printing the finance statements. The problem printing other stuff from MLS was due to a different cause.

Sorry about that, and thanks for the responses.

Return to “Printers, Copiers, and Multi-Function Devices”