Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Post by bartj »

Impacted service(s):
Meetinghouse devices statically assigned DNS settings.

Summary of work:
Church Networking Team will be changing the DNS settings on Church managed firewalls.

Expected start:
US/Canada - August 28, 2018 at 09:00 MST
International Areas – September 4, 2018 at 09:00MST

Expected completion:
US/Canada - August 31, 2018 at 16:00 MST
International Areas – September 7, 2018 at 09:00MST

Details of the work:
The Church Networking Team will change the DNS settings on all Church managed meetinghouse firewalls. Devices connected to these firewalls such as clerk computers*, printers and, IoT devices configured to obtain DNS settings dynamically will not be impacted. Devices configured with static DNS settings, however, may need to be manually configured as follows:

Primary DNS 208.67.222.222
Secondary DNS 208.67.220.220

Expected Impact:
Statically configured devices will no longer be able to access web pages on the Internet after the change takes place.

*An attempt will be made to centrally push updated DNS settings on all statically configured clerk computer’s, but it is likely not all will be update properly. Most clerk computers are dynamically configured and should not be impacted.
Biggles

Re: Meetinghouse DNS Setting Changes

Post by Biggles »

Does this affect all the Zones, or just the User zone.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

All zones will be impacted as part of this change.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

While the news is appreciated, there's probably only a small percentage of STS's that frequent this forum on a regular basis. Will there be an email going out?

I'm hoping there will be some overlap in using either the old or new DNS addresses. I, for one, can't remember all the static IP assignments I've made. They were well documented in the notes in TM until a TM update from the church wiped them all out (grrr...). There weren't that many, but it will take a bit of time to hunt them down.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I saw the notice about the DNS changes the last time I logged into TM. I am a ward clerk, and not a STS, so I don't know if an email was sent out. I don't think my stake has a STS at this time.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Mikerowaved wrote:I'm hoping there will be some overlap in using either the old or new DNS addresses.
I do not think so. As near as I can tell, the DNS addresses were changed on our routers yesterday morning. At least, that's the way I read the message that appeared when I signed in to Technology Manager a few days ago and now has changed. I am not sure how to check the addresses being used for myself. I'll bet I hear from the Family History Center soon.

And no, as STS I never received an email.

And for the life of me, how on earth did they expect to change the fixed IP computers and items that are turned off when not in use? For the record, one of my children asked me that question. I am so relieved that we think these things through before we actually.
danpass

Post by danpass »

As I understand the original post, the only change is for DNS server addresses. I don't see any mention of static IP addresses of devices changing.

In our case, when I've set static IP's on devices, I've left DNS settings automatic.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

A few things.....

- A direct message to STSs is in the works. This type of communication is a little more difficult and time consuming to get out than messages on TM and this forum.
- The network IP address will not need to be changed, this is specific to the DNS addresses.
- A change will be sent out to the Clerk PCs from HQ. Devices that are not on will get the update when they turn on. That said it is still recommended that you check your PC settings.
- In most cases, things like printers don't use DNS so these devices really shouldn't be impacted.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

Mikerowaved wrote:I'm hoping there will be some overlap in using either the old or new DNS addresses.
Devices with the old settings should continue to work for at least another week or two. The old DNS services are still available and the firewall rules allowing traffic to these services have not been removed.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

bartj wrote:Devices with the old settings should continue to work for at least another week or two.
Good to know. Thanks.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”