Update leadeship directory automatically from MLS

Share discussions around the Classic Local Unit Website (LUWS).
doughy

Update leadeship directory automatically from MLS

Post by doughy »

One thing that I find odd is that the leadership directory in the ward website system requires manual updating. Is there any reason why this information can not just be pulled from MLS? Having to store the same exact information manually in more than one place usually leads to discrepancies, errors, and confusion. Pulling info from MLS for the directory would solve that.

Updating callings in MLS is a regular part of a clerk's workflow, so why not leverage that work. Currently, ward website admins have to continually check or be notified of any changes, and it's not a smooth workflow.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

Doughy wrote:One thing that I find odd is that the leadership directory in the ward website system requires manual updating. Is there any reason why this information can not just be pulled from MLS? Having to store the same exact information manually in more than one place usually leads to discrepancies, errors, and confusion. Pulling info from MLS for the directory would solve that.

Updating callings in MLS is a regular part of a clerk's workflow, so why not leverage that work. Currently, ward website admins have to continually check or be notified of any changes, and it's not a smooth workflow.

You're not alone in this request; if you search the forums here, you will find dozens of similar posts. Everyone agrees. We're all hoping that the new revision of the LUWS will improve this.

It is a big change, however; it is not simply a matter of "pulling info from MLS." With the exception of membership records themselves, most of the MLS information is stored only locally. There is no MLS leadership information stored currently on Church servers. Access to the data is a far bigger challenge than just extracting the data and using it in the unit web sites.
jtwitchell

Stake MLS

Post by jtwitchell »

That last statement helped make sense of a question I had. I was wondering why the Stake MLS database didn't contain any leadership information from the individual wards. That would be another big help, being able to see the leadership info on the Stake Level. Often callings for Ward Clerk, Ward Bulletin, Librarian, etc... change, and we never get told those changes.
"I reject your reality and substitute my own."
opee

Post by opee »

net_runner wrote:That last statement helped make sense of a question I had. I was wondering why the Stake MLS database didn't contain any leadership information from the individual wards. That would be another big help, being able to see the leadership info on the Stake Level. Often callings for Ward Clerk, Ward Bulletin, Librarian, etc... change, and we never get told those changes.

It is also tough if you want to print an "Officers Sustained" form from the Stake MLS--none of the youth leadership positions are listed on the printout. (Because of the reason Alan explained). Therefore, the Stake Clerk can't print out a "backup" for unit conferences that has all of the adult and youth callings.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

When the LUWS administrator enters the leadership positions, is the iinterface something like a drop-down populated from the unit's LUWS roster, or is it free-form text entry? I am wondering if even this leadership list, itself a subset of all local callings, is captured reliably at CHQ for any other purposes.

Another question: Does the ward MLS menu item that sends data to the stake -- distinct from the general send/receive menu item that transmits transactions to/from CHQ -- include either a full set of callings or a subset of leadership callings, including unique member IDs, to populate the stake MLS? My understanding is that at least some subset of callings is sent to the stake somehow.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

net_runner wrote:Often callings for Ward Clerk, Ward Bulletin, Librarian, etc... change, and we never get told those changes.
It better not be happening with the Ward Clerk position. I believe that name has to go though the stake. But otherwise, I understand the point.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

boomerbubba wrote:When the LUWS administrator enters the leadership positions, is the iinterface something like a drop-down populated from the unit's LUWS roster, or is it free-form text entry? I am wondering if even this leadership list, itself a subset of all local callings, is captured reliably at CHQ for any other purposes.
LUWS starts off with a pre-set list of positions. However, if the position isn't filled, then it typically doesn't appear on the LUWS page. There's also places to add free-form text for the position name.

As for capturing that information, yes, it is used to a limited extent. The STS's email is used for email from CHQ as well. Also being in certain positions activates the "Record Keeping Information" button on the bottom left. Those are the only ones I'm aware of.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
RossEvans

Post by RossEvans »

RussellHltn wrote:LUWS starts off with a pre-set list of positions. However, if the position isn't filled, then it typically doesn't appear on the LUWS page. There's also places to add free-form text for the position name.

Are the members who fill those positions chosen from the LUWS roster, or filled in free text?
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

boomerbubba wrote:Are the members who fill those positions chosen from the LUWS roster, or filled in free text?

Regardless of the position (custom or preset), the name of the person is always filled in by selecting a name from the membership list in the LUWS.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

boomerbubba wrote:Another question: Does the ward MLS menu item that sends data to the stake -- distinct from the general send/receive menu item that transmits transactions to/from CHQ -- include either a full set of callings or a subset of leadership callings, including unique member IDs, to populate the stake MLS? My understanding is that at least some subset of callings is sent to the stake somehow.
The MLS menu item that sends data to the stake does nothing other than to send the data earlier than it normally would have been sent. Data goes to the stake monthly. If the ward select the send data to stake menu item, the stake gets an update of ward information on the next S/R after the ward S/R. Otherwise, the stake gets the data on its first S/R of the new month.

The stake does not get a complete list of who is serving in ward callings. The stake gets all of the positions the stake calls, along with the presidency information for each of the ward auxiliaries and the ward mission leader.

Return to “Classic Ward & Stake Sites (LUWS)”