Sharing living people with relative

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
brown67

Sharing living people with relative

Post by brown67 »

My Niece wants to connect to my family tree. I have the most work done in my family. How can she do that since I'm living, and so are my parents? Can I share it with her? No one living has a problem sharing it.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Sharing living people with relative

Post by lajackson »

brown67 wrote:My Niece wants to connect to my family tree. I have the most work done in my family. How can she do that since I'm living, and so are my parents? Can I share it with her? No one living has a problem sharing it.
I do not believe you can give her access to your living family. I understand that there is a project in the works that will eventually allow that, but when it will happen is not certain. The request to allow living relatives to work together is a common one and would save much duplication in the future. It just has not yet been programmed.

In the meantime, I would give her the first deceased ancestor in each of your lines. That would appear to be your four grandparents. That will connect everything beyond that point. There is only one family tree, so she may have those already. But if not, at least help her get connected from that point back.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Odds are your nice will have to add all the living people and the first generation of deceased. Once she adds the deceased, she'll see all before them.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Since living persons are in private space, she only needs to enter very minimal information for them (I think she just needs a name). She should create a living person record for her living ancestors (they are the "bridge" to the deceased ancestors). Then she would connect the deceased parents to the living ancestors (the easiest way to do this is to add them by the ID # that she can get from you). Once she links them, she will see all your deceased ancestors.
jwthomasbennion

Post by jwthomasbennion »

Or,
Until FamilySearch implements the shared-living-family feature,
If you trust her (briefly), allow her to have consultant access to your account.
Give her your helper# & username.

Tell her to add you to her Consultant Planner, which expires in 12 months (or until you revoke her access).
It's the last menu under the main top right help menu ("Consultant Resources").
You can get your helper# from your FamilySearch "Settings" by clicking your name in the top right.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”