How Did You Like the Tech Talks?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

thedqs wrote:VCRs who uses those anymore, it's Tivo or DVD-RW now-a-days. :D
We're cheap. We're waiting for the FM group to upgrade the stake satellite system. :D I'd love to switch to a DVD with a built-in hard drive so I can do a quick edit and burn multiple copies of one broadcast.

But then what's the max running time for DVD? The last training broadcast had an advertised running time of 2.5 hours. I think some of the BYU conferences ran for 3 or 4 hours.
thedqs
Community Moderators

Post by thedqs »

Depends which format you record it in, there are DVD recorder that do the same thing as tapes. 2 hrs, 4 hrs, 6 hrs. Depending on quality. If you get one that can use Dual Layer DVDs then you can get 5 hrs, 9 hrs and 12 hrs repectively. Of course if you want it to play in almost any DVD player then you need single layer and that goes for 2.5 hrs or so. If your stake upgrades all the buildings to players that can read Dual Layer then you have 5 hours.

Of course your stake could wait until HVD comes out to the masses and then you never have to worry about the length of the broadcast. Here is an article about HVDs as a future technology that is begin developed. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Holographic_Versatile_Disc
- David
jmasters-p40

Sacramentans for the bay area tech talks

Post by jmasters-p40 »

At Joel's suggestion, I opened up a discussion thread on the possibility of arranging carpools for the bay area tech talks from Sacramento. Maybe crash at a restaurant afterwards and discuss the topics or share/compare notes. Maybe network...

Here's the site: http://www.chron.com/apps/comics/showCo ... se_to_Home

Oops, wrong one...

[thread=276]Sacramentans assembling for Bay Area Tech Talks[/thread]

There we go....

Come on over, if you're one of the chosen ones that live in Sacramento!

As for the recording lengths... There are some pretty nice DVD players out there now that play AVI format files... You can cram nearly two hours on a CDROM, and probably close to 7-8 on a DVD. :-)

Justin

Return to “General Discussions”