North America Solar Outage Conference

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

North America Solar Outage Conference

Post by bartj »

What to Do in Case of a Satellite Solar Outage
Church meetinghouse satellite systems may experience periodic solar outages. A solar outage is caused when the sun passes directly behind the satellite and the antenna picks up both the satellite signal and noise from the sun. The impact and length of the outage can vary depending on geographical location and satellite signal. These interferences may simply be slight signal degradation or result in a complete loss of signal.

When solar outages are a known risk to a satellite broadcast, it is good to have an alternate solution ready and available. For general conference, for instance, one potential solution is to stream the content from LDS.org; if you choose to do this, please ensure that wi-fi in the building is turned off and use a direct link into the meetinghouse bandwidth to broadcast the event.
Zones that may be impacted during October 2018 General Conference: Below is an outline of the satellites and potential outage timeframes for several cities across the U.S. If your city is not referenced below, find the city that is closest to you for expected outages in your area.

Galaxy 28 Ku Band (small dish):
Solar Outage 1.PNG
(223.09 KiB) Not downloaded yet
Galaxy 19 C band (big dish):
Solar Outage 2.PNG
(216.43 KiB) Not downloaded yet
mevans

Re: North America Solar Outage Conference

Post by mevans »

Thanks for posting this. I felt like I needed to go visit this forum today and now I know why :)

Return to “Satellite”