How do I get my family tree from family search to ancestry?

sgeorge00

How do I get my family tree from family search to ancestry?

Post by sgeorge00 »

I have a decent sized tree on family search that I'd like to import to Ancestry.com to work on it there. If thou could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: How do I get my family tree from family search to ancest

Post by jdlessley »

You should log onto FamilySearch.org and click on "Get Help" in the upper right corner and then click on "Help Center" from the drop-down menu. At the Help Center page scroll down the page to the "Top 10 Frequently Asked Questions" and select the sixth topic titled "Using your LDS-Ancestry.com membership". All your questions may be addressed on that page. Note that what is available to link between FamilySearch and Ancestry.com is still in development and not all capabilities that are on the roadmap are currently available.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
pwilson

Post by pwilson »

The easiest way to get data from FamilyTree into any of the partner sites is to download as much data as you want from FamilyTree into a GEDCOM file and then upload the GEDCOM file into the partner site. I have used the free version of ancestral quest to link with my familysearch account and download x number of generations into a GEDCOM.

-Paul
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

sgeorge00 wrote:I have a decent sized tree on family search that I'd like to import to Ancestry.com to work on it there. If thou could help me out, I'd greatly appreciate it.
Please remember that your "tree on family search" is not yours. There is only one "tree" in FamilySearch Family Tree, and we all contribute to it and update it.

When you create(d) your LDS Ancestry account, it should have automatically transferred your first four generations into your new Ancestry tree. After that, you can use the various FamilySearch functions in Ancestry to copy data from Family Tree to your Ancestry Tree, and from your Ancestry Tree to Family Tree, one person at a time.

There are, of course, third-party applications from FamilySearch partners, such as Ancestral Quest, which make it easier to move larger quantities of data back and forth.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
nealsega

Post by nealsega »

pwilson wrote:The easiest way to get data from FamilyTree into any of the partner sites is to download as much data as you want from FamilyTree into a GEDCOM file and then upload the GEDCOM file into the partner site. I have used the free version of ancestral quest to link with my familysearch account and download x number of generations into a GEDCOM.

-Paul
Paul - I'm curious about how quickly the data download has happened for you, using this method. I'm doing the same thing (on a really fast Internet connection) and I'm surprised by the length of time it's taking (48 hrs+). I want to know if that's a problem with my system, or the usual amount of time.

Thanks,

Neal
pwilson

Re: How do I get my family tree from family search to ancestry?

Post by pwilson »

My recollection is that you need to filter on how much of your tree you try and export. I know I tried to do a very large export of both direct ancestors and all descendants and it was going to take forever and provide an unmanageable amount of ancestors, which I canceled and then dialed back how much information I needed. It took me minutes not hours to export.

Hope this helps,
Paul
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Here is a great series of training videos on this subject:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9qsi2GWSxlc
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
angelicaspeer@outlook.com

Post by angelicaspeer@outlook.com »

HI there! I need to do this the other way around! I want to import my large Ancestry tree into my Familysearch tree. I tried to connect the two accounts to begin the process, but it said access denied :-( can you help please? Warmest regards. Angelica
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

angelicaspeer@outlook.com wrote:HI there! I need to do this the other way around! I want to import my large Ancestry tree into my Familysearch tree.
Honestly, you don't want to do that. With Ancestry, everyone has private trees. But with FamilySearch, it just the one tree of mankind. Odds are very strong that once you go back a generation or two, your family is already there and you'd be having to combine duplicates you've created.

While it's time consuming, I'd suggest adding them one by one, or at least as couples and then checking for duplicates, sources, etc.

Someone else might have an idea how to bring them across without having to re-key everything.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”