Viewing HDMI Receiver Output in Chapel

Discussions around the satellite system and video distribution.
danpass

Viewing HDMI Receiver Output in Chapel

Post by danpass »

Our stake center has the Cisco D9865-D receiver. After reading here that the Church satellite network is now providing HD video, I took advantage of it this past general conference.

I sent the HDMI receiver output over cat 6 using this extender to the HDMI input of a projector in the chapel.

The video was excellent but the audio, coming from the receiver through the building sound system, was nearly a second behind the video. Since the projector has a 2.5 mm audio out connection, I turned off the satellite audio in the chapel and ran the audio out of the projector through a crab box into the sound system. This solved the audio sync problem. However, then I realized that the HDMI audio stream was carrying both the left and right channels from the receiver. Our receiver is configured for English and Spanish, so both languages were playing. I looked for a left-right balance control in the projector settings, but there was none. I also looked in the satellite receiver audio settings. I could find no way to limit the HDMI audio to just the left (English) channel, without affecting the right channel output going to the Spanish channel modulator.

I had on hand a 2.5 mm to RCA splitter and used that to separate the left and right at the projector audio output and connected just the left to the crab box.

In this post of the other thread, CalS202 mentioned using HDMItoSDI/SDItoHDMI converters to get the satellite HDMI signal to the pulpit video jack. I may try this, but it seems that I would likely have the same issue with the satellite audio through the sound system lagging behind the video.

The left channel from the receiver, as well as the video, go through a AVDH-1, before the audio gets routed to the sound system. I wonder if that is the source of the delay...
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Viewing HDMI Receiver Output in Chapel

Post by russellhltn »

danpass wrote:The video was excellent but the audio, coming from the receiver through the building sound system, was nearly a second behind the video.
That since the audio was behind, it suggests either the receiver was doing some processing to the composite video to cause it to slow down, or there's an intentional delay so the audio will match the HD video after it's been processed by the video system.

danpass wrote:I had on hand a 2.5 mm to RCA splitter and used that to separate the left and right at the projector audio output and connected just the left to the crab box.
At the risk of being pedantic, I think that would be a 3.5 mm stereo to an RCA pair. (Not a splitter. To me, a splitter creates two identical outputs.) It's a pretty common cable.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
danpass

Post by danpass »

russellhltn wrote:
danpass wrote:I had on hand a 2.5 mm to RCA splitter and used that to separate the left and right at the projector audio output and connected just the left to the crab box.
At the risk of being pedantic, I think that would be a 3.5 mm stereo to an RCA pair. (Not a splitter. To me, a splitter creates two identical outputs.) It's a pretty common cable.
Yes, thanks.
bartj
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by bartj »

You can setup the receiver to output "mono" audio. This will eliminate receive both English and Spanish. Here are the instructions - https://www.lds.org/help/support/cisco- ... o?lang=eng.
danpass

Post by danpass »

I did find those settings. My assumption was that if I selected the L-Mono option, yes, I would only get English over the HDMI, but also that the right audio output on the back of the receiver would be switched to English.

We still need the Spanish on the right channel going to the Spanish channel modulator for our Spanish speaking members.

So, do the referenced audio settings only apply to the HDMI audio or will they also change the receiver audio outputs?

Return to “Satellite”