Optimize lds.org be found on Google for faith and related questions people ask

Interested in working for the Church? Ask questions and discuss opportunities with recruiters here.
KyleMcNeil

Re: Optimize lds.org be found on Google for faith and related questions people ask

Post by KyleMcNeil »

Hey guys,

I'd like to chime in here as well. As my study, and some ponderings have brought me here today in an effort to understand where the church is at with these concepts.

With a decade in sales & marketing, and being close enough to the things Aaron is speaking of, I feel as well there is a great opportunity here.

Also, I'm very thankful for all the hard work the website puts into LDS.org. It's an incredible resource, that has definitely blessed my life.

PS - if I can be of any support in this please let me know. Clayton Christensen talks about internet searches this in the everyday missionary book as well (and how effective blogs were with gospel questions, answers, and experiences). Strategically it would be great though to add SEO into the mix, and point people to the most valuable website in the world (LDS.org).

If I can be of any help as well let me know. Although not technically skilled like Aaron, I get the concepts.

I also love the gospel, know the work must go forth, and understand strategies for success are needed for the righteous, just as recorded in the war chapters in Alma.

With respect,
Kyle
OliVDB5590

Re: Optimize lds.org be found on Google for faith and related questions people ask

Post by OliVDB5590 »

It's true that in our world, the Church has to evolve and embrace new technologies so that we don't fall behind other trends and get lost in the shadows...
SEO is a definitive must for us, linkbuilding especially could be an interesting tool to have, but it's quite expensive unless you have this work done by Eastern European or Asian companies for cheap... And it will hurt the image of the Church to have it promoted in a broken English through what can only be called spam.
Couldn't it be possible to make it happen through a grassroots movement coming from the rank-and-file believers?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

OliVDB5590 wrote:It's true that in our world, the Church has to evolve and embrace new technologies so that we don't fall behind other trends and get lost in the shadows...
Couldn't it be possible to make it happen through a grassroots movement coming from the rank-and-file believers?
I'm sure those at Church headquarters are well aware of both the basic principles and current trends in SEO. Several years ago, I participated in two software development efforts that made use of both Church staff and volunteer members as developers, so the Church definitely knows how to arrange for volunteer help in technology efforts. Who knows, perhaps the emphasis by the Brethren the past few years on getting Church members more involved in sharing the gospel through social media will result in generating more links that serve the purposes of SEO. Encouraging those who are inclined to participate in social media to practice OYM (Open Your Mouth) and share the gospel would be a very good idea.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

If you were paying attention, you might have noticed that President Nelson gave a shoutout to SEO by name in his talk about using the correct name of the Church. That says to me that Church leaders are very aware of the importance of search engine optimization in helping people find good information about the restored gospel, and are actively involved in improving the reach of Church content.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

sbradshaw wrote:That says to me that Church leaders are very aware of the importance of search engine optimization in helping people find good information about the restored gospel, and are actively involved in improving the reach of Church content.
I think it fair to say that anyone searching for "Mormon" or "LDS" has a significant chance of discovering an anti-lds page. I think the more we use the official name of the church, the less likely curious people will stumble across anti-Mormon sites. And more likely anyone searching for Jesus Christ will find us.

It's not just SEO, it's branding.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Technical Recruiting”