Is sustaining vote needed for full-time missionary serving in a district AUX presidency?

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
rchomskis

Is sustaining vote needed for full-time missionary serving in a district AUX presidency?

Post by rchomskis »

We have a senior couple missionary called to District (in the mission) YM presidency. Does this particular missionary need to be presented to local members for a sustaining vote? Or is this a case of just announcing him as a FYI item for local members?

Handbook 1:4.9.4 ("Missionaries in Branch Leadership Positions") is not very clear on this specific question.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Is sustaining vote needed for full-time missionary serving in a district AUX presidency?

Post by russellhltn »

Good question. Part of me says that it shouldn't be necessary for the reasons outlined for setting apart. But the legalistic side of me says that in the absence of any direction to the contrary, they must still be sustained.

Also, if we go by the assumption that whatever we choose will be wrong, I'd rather error by sustaining someone who didn't need it rather than error by skipping it.

Of course, this comes with the usual disclaimer: The local leaders hold the keys to interpret the Handbook. If they have questions, they should ask their presiding authority.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “General Discussions”