sacrament for the sick or homebound

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
Papaga

sacrament for the sick or homebound

Post by Papaga »

I honorably hold the Melchizedek Priesthood and I am an ordained High Priest.

I have a question regarding administration of the sacrament in the homes of those who are home-bound or too ill to attend Church.
i.e. If my wife or I fall ill and cannot attend Church for an extended period of time, CAN I, personally, as a PH holder administer the sacrament to us in our own home??? If so, this would alleviate the inconvenience of asking another PH holder or two, to come to our home to administer it.

Would I need to clear this with my bishop beforehand, or can I just perform the sacrament ordinance as needed?

Thank you, Brother DL
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: sacrament for the sick or homebound

Post by russellhltn »

Papaga wrote:Would I need to clear this with my bishop beforehand,
Handbook 2: 18.2.2 - "Sacrament Services in Unusual Situations" indicates that you do need approval.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
dwinder1

Post by dwinder1 »

During this time with the coro-19 virus as a preisthood holder in my home can I adminsiter the sacrement?
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Please see this notice: https://newsroom.churchofjesuschrist.or ... -suspended

Per the third-to-last paragraph, it appears you should contact your bishop.
ansonbentley

Post by ansonbentley »

We in the UK have been put under a pretty severe shutdown scenario since the prime minister's address on monday the 23rd of March with very little opportunity to leave our homes, except for food, medicine, etc. and then only when absolutely necessary, with fines being imposed if not strictly adhered to. We have been told, up to this point, that it is up to our Stake President and Bishop to decide whether we should provide sacrament to individuals in their homes here in the UK. In our stake, we have been told it is ok to provide Sacrament in individuals homes so long as both parties are comfortable with it and recommended safety measures are adhered to. Since the speech included more stringent provisions than previously mentioned, has there been any additional guidance for us from church headquarters for those of us here in the UK? Some members are uncomfortable providing the sacrament to members in their homes during the pandemic, and are worried about spreading the virus to members or bringing it home to friends and family, but out of a sense of duty and possibly guilt, they feel they should do it anyway. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thank You.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

ansonbentley wrote:has there been any additional guidance for us from church headquarters for those of us here in the UK?
I'd think specific instructions would be coming from the area authority.

In my stake in the US, the bishop has said that ministering bothers will not be passing the sacrament until the local "Stay at home/work from home" has lifted. I don't think the situation here is as dire as the one you're currently experiencing.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
simonawright

Post by simonawright »

Our Stake President has said we should follow the government guidelines which basically says that we should not be visiting anyone unless it is as a carer for a vulnerable person. He has said we can administer the Sacrament in our own home, we should not visit other family members, or anyone else, to perform this ordinance.
I am sure that your stake president will have issued guidance to your Bishop about this.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Some perspective helps. Sacrament meetings have been discontinued for only two weeks. Some general authorities, who visit stake conferences almost every week, are only able to partake of the sacrament on a monthly or quarterly basis.

There was a time in church history (1856-57) when no one in the church partook of the sacrament for many months. (See Saints, Volume 2, Chapter 17)
ansonbentley

Post by ansonbentley »

We've just been informed today, by our Bishop, that we are now to stop passing of the sacrament in anyone's homes other than our own. This only includes those who are living in our homes with us.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

Each unit will be different, based on the local needs and directions from those holding the Keys for that unit. The brethren are directing the response, through stake presidents, bishops, and branch presidents who will disseminate to the ward as best fits their local needs and abilities. The Lord's house is a house of order - isn't it comforting and wonderful that we imperfect people can be a part of His perfect plan?

Return to “General Discussions”