Short Throw Projector Suggestions

For things that just don't fit anywhere else.
rl_albright

Re: Short Throw Projector Suggestions

Post by rl_albright »

In our stake center, there is an acoustic cloud feature in the center of the room along the ceiling, we hid a 5000 lumen short throw Epson projector in there, It is able to project onto the back wall (slanted wall designed for projecting from the pulpit) and FILLS it entirely from side to side. The projected image is 18 ft across and about 14 ft tall. Very nice when used for large gatherings. (Such as stake conference.) The projector is fixed mounted at 23' from the floor and completely obstructed from view.
wright_left

Post by wright_left »

rl_albright wrote:In our stake center, there is an acoustic cloud feature in the center of the room along the ceiling, we hid a 5000 lumen short throw Epson projector in there, It is able to project onto the back wall (slanted wall designed for projecting from the pulpit) and FILLS it entirely from side to side. The projected image is 18 ft across and about 14 ft tall. Very nice when used for large gatherings. (Such as stake conference.) The projector is fixed mounted at 23' from the floor and completely obstructed from view.
That sounds like a good solution. We've been told very sternly that no permanent installation will be allowed, which is a bummer. They should design buildings with this in mind. A hidden projector, permanently installed, would look much better than the stuff I cobble together to make it work (this stacks of hymn books and slanted music stands).
rl_albright

Post by rl_albright »

wright_left wrote:
rl_albright wrote:In our stake center, there is an acoustic cloud feature in the center of the room along the ceiling, we hid a 5000 lumen short throw Epson projector in there, It is able to project onto the back wall (slanted wall designed for projecting from the pulpit) and FILLS it entirely from side to side. The projected image is 18 ft across and about 14 ft tall. Very nice when used for large gatherings. (Such as stake conference.) The projector is fixed mounted at 23' from the floor and completely obstructed from view.
That sounds like a good solution. We've been told very sternly that no permanent installation will be allowed, which is a bummer. They should design buildings with this in mind. A hidden projector, permanently installed, would look much better than the stuff I cobble together to make it work (this stacks of hymn books and slanted music stands).
The way it has been phrased to me, and I live by in our buildings, the stake president is in charge of the building. He requests from the FM group what is needed for the building, and (barring any policies that state otherwise), they are to work together to get it done. I have a wonderful Facilities Manager who is willing to work with us. I also have talent in my stake from various vendors and whatnot in the electronics/AV world that donate time/labor for these type of projects. The long and short of it is, (quoting a former member of my stake presidency) "It is much better to be aesthetically pleasing to the eye, than to have something in the chapel that just works." (I may have butchered what he said, but it is close enough.)
waldrpw

Post by waldrpw »

I have also purchased a "non standard" short throw projector for our stake at our stake president's request. It has enabled me to place it in a location that is less of a hazard or a distraction, away from the pulpit. As it uses a very bright laser light source we don't need to turn very many lights off to make the image visible in our chapel. Our FM group has denied our request to permanently install it on the ceiling, stating that it will "detract from the spirit" in our sacrament meetings.
I have performed "bootleg" technology installations in buildings in my stake such as cameras for streaming etc., but the problem with doing that surfaces when sound systems are upgraded or replaced, which occurs from time to time. The bootleg installation isn't considered when these upgrades are designed and installed, possibly leaving the additional equipment disconnected and abandoned in place. This has happened in one of our buildings requiring me to string a bunch of additional cable due to the relocation of the AV cabinet. As for projector installations, they can be done in a manner that renders them unobtrusive, and not visible by the congregation if planned correctly. I agree with previous posts stating that this should be a standard feature in new stake centers.
quintonrhq

Post by quintonrhq »

An inexpensive option is an Epson 595Wi short throw for about $250 used. 3,000 lumens and a 100 inch diagonal picture. Filling the screen is great but the brightness falls off as the picture gets bigger. Always trade offs but no blinding light in the speakers eyes.

Return to “Other Meetinghouse Technologies”