Sealing to parents problems

Discussions about using and improving the new FamilySearch online application.
rodmans

Sealing to parents problems

Post by rodmans »

I have cards that show correct sealing to the correct parents is done, yet family search is giving me the message "This sealing-to-parents ordinance is valid, but the parents are not listed because of privacy or they may not match those in Family Tree. Click here for more information". Then the correct parents, that I just sealed these children to, are listed as (Preferred Parents) and Family search says: "Sealing to Parents can be requested" to seal the individual to the exact same parents.

Today I was checking for ordinances needing to be done, and found one of my families with sealing to parents done in 1975 in the Provo Utah Temple with 5 children. The first and fifth child show the correct parents, but the middle 3 children all show this "the parents are not listed...." message, with the same parents listed as "Preferred, Sealing to Parents can be requested"as the parents already sealed to the 1st and 5th child.

This is occurring throughout the system, with no obvious pattern, and driving me crazy! It also encourages duplicate and unnecessary sealing work.

HELP! Is this a known glitch that is being addressed? Do you need specific examples? Someone PLEASE fix this! Thanks, Sue Rodman
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Sealing to parents problems

Post by jdlessley »

rodmans wrote:HELP! Is this a known glitch that is being addressed? Do you need specific examples? Someone PLEASE fix this!
This is a user-to-user support forum. There is nothing we can fix. Your best chance to get your issue before those who can answer your questions and offer solutions is through the FamilySearch Family Tree application. Once logged on click the Help link in the upper right corner of the page. Then select Contact Us.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I'm suspecting this is a data problem, not a system problem. Make sure there isn't a duplicate set of parents.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
aebrown
Community Administrator

Post by aebrown »

rodmans wrote:I have cards that show correct sealing to the correct parents is done, yet family search is giving me the message "This sealing-to-parents ordinance is valid, but the parents are not listed because of privacy or they may not match those in Family Tree. Click here for more information". Then the correct parents, that I just sealed these children to, are listed as (Preferred Parents) and Family search says: "Sealing to Parents can be requested" to seal the individual to the exact same parents.

Today I was checking for ordinances needing to be done, and found one of my families with sealing to parents done in 1975 in the Provo Utah Temple with 5 children. The first and fifth child show the correct parents, but the middle 3 children all show this "the parents are not listed...." message, with the same parents listed as "Preferred, Sealing to Parents can be requested"as the parents already sealed to the 1st and 5th child.

This is occurring throughout the system, with no obvious pattern, and driving me crazy! It also encourages duplicate and unnecessary sealing work.

HELP! Is this a known glitch that is being addressed? Do you need specific examples? Someone PLEASE fix this! Thanks, Sue Rodman
See the FamilySearch Help Center article What should I do when ordinances are missing in Family Tree? (note that you must be signed in to FamilySearch to view the article, since it deals with temple information).

There is no general fix for this problem -- as you come across missing ordinances that you know have already been performed, you need to follow the instructions in the article I linked to and request that the ordinance be recorded.

The problem is that the sealing ordinances will only appear properly connected if the ordinances are connected to the same parents or spouse that are linked to the person in Family Tree with the same IDs. Over time, as data has moved from system to system (IGI, New FamilySearch, Family Tree), the IDs were not always properly updated and linked, and when the IDs don't match, it will appear as if the ordinances are missing. You're correct that missing ordinances may lead others to perform unnecessary sealings. You will be doing a great service if you patiently provide the information to FamilySearch Support that is needed to identify and properly link the ordinances to these people.

Return to “FamilySearch Family Tree Application”