Name change

Church Account is the primary user account (user name and password) for accessing online Church resources. Church Account was formerly known as LDS Account. This forum is a space to discuss all things related to Church Accounts (registration, account recovery, user experience, vulnerabilities, etc.).
jenniferkgrace

Name change

Post by jenniferkgrace »

I'm recently divorced and changed my name back to my maiden name, and updated it with the ward clerk, but the church website still has my old name and won't let me change my name when I log in and go to my account information. How do I change that?

Thanks!
johnshaw

Re: Name change

Post by johnshaw »

He may have only changed the preferred name, you might need to ensure the membership name was changed as well.
“A long habit of not thinking a thing wrong, gives it a superficial appearance of being right, and raises at first a formidable outcry in defense of custom.”
― Thomas Paine, Common Sense
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Name change

Post by jdlessley »

jenniferkgrace wrote:. . . the church website still has my old name and won't let me change my name when I log in and go to my account information. How do I change that?
There are three places your ward clerk should have checked when changing your name. It appears he made the name change in the "Member Name" text boxes but did not check the other two places that affect how your name is displayed or presented in tools such as the Ward Directory and Map. He also needs to change your preferred name in the "Preferred Name" text boxes and check/update your household name in the "Household" tab and at the "Edit Household Name" button. Have him check those last two places.

You can change your Preferred Name in your Member Account in the "Personal Information" tab but you cannot change the First Name or Last Name. Those are set when you created your account. If you are only concerned with the names displayed outside your Member Account then no action is required within your Member Account. If you want the First Name and Last Name changed in your Member Account and it does not change, which is most likely, after your ward clerk updates your membership record then have your clerk contact the Global Service Center (GSC) to get your Member Account name changed. The only place your Member Account name is displayed is within your Member Account.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?

Return to “Church Account”