Access Points Keep Failing

Discussions about Internet service providers (ISPs), the Meetinghouse Firewall, wired and wireless networking, usage, management, and support of Meetinghouse Internet
lajackson
Community Moderators

Access Points Keep Failing

Post by lajackson »

After the firewall was rebooted four or five times this afternoon, it lost track of the WiFi access points. Is there a way to help it find them again? Meraki firewall, Meraki access points.

The GSC will not help me because the APs are in the attic and I cannot see the lights on them. They are requiring the FM group to come to the building and work with them.

And with the implementation of the new, improved FM system, our FM group is no longer only 100 miles away. It is now an improved 270 miles away.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Access Points Keep Failing

Post by russellhltn »

Ouch. FM did all the Meraki APs in my stake, so I never got a chance to see what the activation is like. Maybe time will take care of the issue.

If you can, something you might try is reboot the APs and see if that helps. But let me guess, that's also in the attic. Well, there's always the main building power. <evil grin>

You might also ask the stake presidency to get you the keys. I'd think given the right tact, FM might agree to the idea if it means avoiding that trip for minor things.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

The power injectors for the WAPs should be located with the firewall and the switch. You can reboot the WAPs by removing power from the power injectors.

You can use an app on your cell phone to patrol the hallways, and watch the strength of the signals from the WAPs as you walk around.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:If you can, something you might try is reboot the APs and see if that helps. But let me guess, that's also in the attic. Well, there's always the main building power. <evil grin>
At my age, I do not do ladders and attics.
drepouille wrote:The power injectors for the WAPs should be located with the firewall and the switch. You can reboot the WAPs by removing power from the power injectors.
They are, you can, and I did.

Last night, I rebooted the firewall, used TM to refresh the firewall configuration, and then removed and reinstalled the APs. Then I called the GSC, who did the same three things in exactly the same order. Then we had the status light discussion and GSC said they would be glad to give the FM group any assistance they needed. Late and tired, I went home.

This morning TM said the APs were active. Since I happen to live close to this meetinghouse, I drove by this morning, parked in the reserved Wifi parking spots, and found that they were all functioning well.

I wish there were some way to know that the APs were reconfiguring. I guess that is why there are lights.

Off-topic trivia question:
What happens when you plug both ends of an Ethernet cable (two cables in this case) into adjacent ports on the same switch?
"Well, we just needed a place to store the cables."

Return to “Meetinghouse Internet”