WD TV connection to chapel audio system

Discussions about using TVs, projectors, laptops, tablets, smartphones, DVD Players and other media players in meetinghouses including standards, management, how to connect to them, proper use, and support.
drepouille

WD TV connection to chapel audio system

Post by drepouille »

In preparation for the September 29th broadcast, I downloaded the video to a flash drive, and connected it to our WD TV media player. I connected the media player to our projector. I muted the projector, hoping that I could use the AV Out jack on the media player to pipe the sound through the "octopus" unit to the microphone jack on the rostrum. However, that only produced a loud hum. The WD TV media player has a settings page, which allows me to send the video to HDMI and the audio to the AV Out jack, but it does not appear to work as I expected. I suspect that the AV Out jack is not a simple stereo jack.

<BREAK> Ah! Now I remember! the WD TV media player came with a proprietary cable! The AV Out jack is a composite audio AND video jack, and the cable breaks them out to separate lines. Silly me! Now I have to do my test all over again.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Re: WD TV connection to chapel audio system

Post by drepouille »

Oops. When I said "octopus" I meant to say "crab box."
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:<BREAK> Ah! Now I remember! the WD TV media player came with a proprietary cable! The AV Out jack is a composite audio AND video jack, and the cable breaks them out to separate lines.
I wouldn't call it proprietary, lots of things have a combined video and audio on the 3.5mm jack. I fact, I find them all the time at the thrift store.

However, it appears that the pinout may not be as standardized as I thought.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

drepouille wrote:Oops. When I said "octopus" I meant to say "crab box."
You're in good company. Someone called ours the "lobster thing" the other day.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

I was curious as to which audio RCA plug I should connect to the crab box. In the case of the upcoming broadcast, I don't think it matters. The chapel sound system isn't stereo, after all. But if you were trying to show a video with very distinct stereo audio, you would need to have a method of merging the left and right audio channels into a single mono channel.

I just don't know if the crab box is able to merge the left and right audio channels.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

drepouille wrote:I was curious as to which audio RCA plug I should connect to the crab box. In the case of the upcoming broadcast, I don't think it matters. The chapel sound system isn't stereo, after all. But if you were trying to show a video with very distinct stereo audio, you would need to have a method of merging the left and right audio channels into a single mono channel.
The crab box has two input and cables to match. So you could feed it stereo. I've done it when connecting a DVD player.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Rich Media in Lessons and Training”