One Pc two Windows and two MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
marianomarini

One Pc two Windows and two MLS

Post by marianomarini »

The Vicenza 1 branch partitioned the hard drive the two branches have been sharing, creating an English drive and an Italian drive. When they moved MLS to the English drive, we were unable to login to the program. After re-installing the program, we managed to log in to the program. However, now, when we try to send/receive changes, the entire program closes. We do not know how we can fix this, as there seems no plausible reason for the program to shut down.

Send/receive was made BEFORE old english database restore.
In fact the backup was done by the clerck and the restore asks for ID and password unknown by the President (I'm the italian guy who made the two partition for Italian and English Windows OS).

The Pc use the Internet connection to perform send/receive process.
I checked out the connection and is OK, of course.
Any ideas?
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

I still find your set up unclear.

Even if is is not relevent, it might be helpful if you explain what was your reason for creating an English partition and an Italian partition. This can help us understand what problem you were trying to solve.

I am guessing that you need to use Windows in both English and Italian, and partitioning the hard drive seemed the best way to accomplish this.

Does one branch use English and the other Italian?

Does switching between English and Italian require you to re-boot the computer?

Did you perform a complete back up in MLS for each branch prior to partitioning the hard drive?

I would try the following on the problem partition.

1. Download the most current version of MLS from mls.lds.org and use it to perform a clean installation of MLS. Make sure the Windows account to which you are installing MLS has administrator priviledges.

2. Restore from the MLS backup before doing a Send/Receive.

3. You may need to call your area administration office and have them reset the security, as described here, in order to be able to successfully complete a Send/Receive.
marianomarini

Post by marianomarini »

jbh001 wrote: Does one branch use English and the other Italian?
Exacly! (Italian branch and US military branch)
Does switching between English and Italian require you to re-boot the computer?
Exactly.
Did you perform a complete back up in MLS for each branch prior to partitioning the hard drive?
Of course.
I would try the following on the problem partition.

1. Download the most current version of MLS from mls.lds.org and use it to perform a clean installation of MLS. Make sure the Windows account to which you are installing MLS has administrator priviledges.
Done.
2. Restore from the MLS backup before doing a Send/Receive.
To be done (my question was a call for confirmation that this step is vital).
La vita è una lezione interminabile di umiltà (Anonimo).
Life is a endless lesson of humility (Anonimous).
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think this should work, but it may require hiding the partition that's not in use. Otherwise MLS may get confused in finding two copies of itself.

Maybe someone else knows how to hide a partition, but I think I'd try using drive trays - each ward has it's own hard drive and they swap the whole drive when switching.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
techgy
Community Moderators

Post by techgy »

Pardon a simple question, but wouldn't it be easier to just get another computer? The printer could be shared between the two and MLS would then be happy.;)
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Techgy wrote:Pardon a simple question, but wouldn't it be easier to just get another computer?
Depends on how hard it will be to get another computer from the Italian equivalent of the FM group. I'm sure this situation isn't unique. I wonder what the policy is.

As it understand it, it's not just a case of switching the language in MLS, but the entire operating system language.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

Since MLS supports having multiple units sharing one MLS installation, it would be nice if each unit could specify what language it wants MLS to run in. Or have the ability to switch languages in the fly without having to reinstall MLS. It would be nice to see such a feature emerge before we get to MLS 4.0 (whenever that is).
mkmurray

Post by mkmurray »

jbh001 wrote:It would be nice to see such a feature emerge before we get to MLS 4.0 (whenever that is).
We've still got to get to 3.0 first. :)

J/k, I imagine you meant 3.0.
jbh001

Post by jbh001 »

mkmurray wrote:We've still got to get to 3.0 first. :)

J/k, I imagine you meant 3.0.
No. I meant what I said, and I said what I meant. An elephant's faithful ... er ...

Anyway, I just don't expect to see such a feature by MLS 3.0, that's why I said MLS 4.0.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

jbh001 wrote:Since MLS supports having multiple units sharing one MLS installation, it would be nice if each unit could specify what language it wants MLS to run in. Or have the ability to switch languages in the fly without having to reinstall MLS. It would be nice to see such a feature emerge before we get to MLS 4.0 (whenever that is).
For the adventurous, this is already possible. There is a two-character setting in one of the MLS files. If you edit the file to change the language code, MLS comes up in the new language.

As far as I know, everything works fine, although this would be totally unsupported by the help desk. I believe someone could easily write a little batch file to make the change and put it on the desktop, but I doubt that has been done, because there is probably little demand for it. It might be out there already, though. If anyone really wants details, I will try to resurface them if you e-mail me privately.

That solves the MLS problem, but the idea of the two different languages at the desktop level is a little more challenging. The official Church policy as promulgated by the help desk is that each unit is authorized its own computer, so even the English-speaking servicemember group is authorized its own computer.

In our stake, we have two Spanish-speaking branches sharing computers with English-speaking wards. There simply is not room in the clerks offices for two boxes. The Spanish-speaking units have English-speaking clerks, so the translation issue is not a problem.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”