looking for Ideas for 5th Sunday Temple & Family History S.S. Class

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
dawnabarber

looking for Ideas for 5th Sunday Temple & Family History S.S. Class

Post by dawnabarber »

Hi, I'm looking for ideas for our 5th Sunday EQ/RS/Youth class on Temple and Family History Work, (we're leaning towards indexing) BUT we're splitting the hour with the Ward Mission Plan committee, any great ideas?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: looking for Ideas for 5th Sunday Temple & Family History S.S. Class

Post by russellhltn »

As a quick exercise, have everyone start the FamilyTree app on their phones and go to Menu > Relatives near me. You'd be surprised to find how many 8th and 10th cousins you have in the ward. Of course, that only works if they've gotten their own tree back several generations.

If you've got a tree that's "fully researched", then personally, I'd suggest going back and adding sources (look for the blue hints on the pedigree chart). Adding sources is painless (compared to traditional methods) and is how we verify the information is correct and no one is getting left behind. There's been a number of occasions where I've added a new name to a family because of adding sources and going where that information takes me.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

1+ russellhltn's recommendation. Our Elders Quorum President asked me to put together some "tips" to assist members of our ward. These are targeted to adult beginners and not the youth or young adults (they typically don't want tips - they typically want us "old" folks to leave them alone and let them figure it out on their own).

I have attached Tip #8 here which goes over searching for missing children in census records. I'm working mostly on cousin lines as my direct line is researched way back. You could focus a single lesson on finding missing relatives from sources already attached to individual ancestors as shown in this tip.
8. Finding Missing Relatives.pdf
(518.57 KiB) Downloaded 198 times
I have about half of them done and hope to have all complete by the end of this year. My target is to keep each one short (1-2 pages tops). I would be happy to share them when complete.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

I will have an indexing tip sheet, but don't have that one complete yet.
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

Testifying about the Why of temple and family history work, with experiences from a couple of different members, can be powerful.

The Ordinances Ready feature in the FamilySearch Tree app and website is also a great thing to introduce – it's the future of reserving ordinances. With the ease of Ordinances Ready, members have pretty much no excuse to go to the temple without a name printed or on their phone ready to print.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.

Return to “General Discussions”