Budget Balance and Carryover

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
chriswoodut
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#11

Post by chriswoodut »

davesudweeks wrote:Keep in mind that the ward gets to carry over whatever the stake allows them to. I have seen cases where the stake asked wards to send some of their end-of-year surplus back to the stake.

I used a spreadsheet that had each of the planned quarters for the next year and included a line for the carryover - these 5 amounts became the proposed total budget for the new year. It showed each organization and their spending against the prior 1 or 2 years. I then proposed new budgets per organization based on historical spending.
I do something similar. I build a spreadsheet with previous years' budgets and what was actual spent each year. I do a rough proposal to get things rolling.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 32083
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#12

Post by russellhltn »

"Budget" is confusing because they're two aspects of it. There's "Budget (funds)" which is the money that the ward gets from SLC each quarter based on attendance records after the stake has taken their cut. Then there's "Budget (plan)" which is how the ward plans to spend the money.

The Budget (plan) is just that - a plan for the year. Once the year ends, it's over, done. There is nothing left. There is no carryover. It's not real money because it was just a plan. This is typically what is assigned to various groups.

Budget (funds) do carry over. Some units do move the funds from the original source (allocation?) to various groups. I'm not sure if it stays there but in the past, it goes back to the master group.

Next year is a new year with a new plan. I think the only carryover in the budget is the ward itself. (Of course, "other" and "missionary" carry over as-is).
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
cchang
Member
Posts: 206
Joined: Mon Apr 17, 2017 8:11 am

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#13

Post by cchang »

davesudweeks wrote:Keep in mind that the ward gets to carry over whatever the stake allows them to. I have seen cases where the stake asked wards to send some of their end-of-year surplus back to the stake.
Yes, this is my concern too. I have seen it one year where the stake asked for the ward's surpluses be contributed to a stake camp out.
davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#14

Post by davesudweeks »

russellhltn wrote:"Budget" is confusing because they're two aspects of it. There's "Budget (funds)" which is the money that the ward gets from SLC each quarter based on attendance records after the stake has taken their cut. Then there's "Budget (plan)" which is how the ward plans to spend the money.

The Budget (plan) is just that - a plan for the year. Once the year ends, it's over, done. There is nothing left. There is no carryover. It's not real money because it was just a plan. This is typically what is assigned to various groups.

Budget (funds) do carry over. Some units do move the funds from the original source (allocation?) to various groups. I'm not sure if it stays there but in the past, it goes back to the master group.

Next year is a new year with a new plan. I think the only carryover in the budget is the ward itself. (Of course, "other" and "missionary" carry over as-is).
Outstanding points!
drepouille
Senior Member
Posts: 2819
Joined: Sun Jul 01, 2007 6:06 pm
Location: Plattsmouth, NE

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#15

Post by drepouille »

On one hand, Handbook 1, section 14.7.2.2 directs that unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake, but wards may retain some of those funds. On the other hand, wards cannot start the year with a zero balance, because the first budget allocation is not deposited until mid-January.

See the Help Center for information about preparing your budget.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... ce/budgets
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#16

Post by davesudweeks »

drepouille wrote:On one hand, Handbook 1, section 14.7.2.2 directs that unneeded ward funds are returned to the stake, but wards may retain some of those funds. On the other hand, wards cannot start the year with a zero balance, because the first budget allocation is not deposited until mid-January.

See the Help Center for information about preparing your budget.
https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/hel ... ce/budgets
In the past, our stake has typically allowed wards to carry over about 1 quarter of allocations. If there is anything more than that, they consider it "unneeded excess" and ask the wards to return the extra amount to the stake. I'm not saying our stake won't change in the future and I'm not saying other stakes must/should do the same.
chriswoodut
Member
Posts: 416
Joined: Mon Jul 25, 2011 9:42 am
Location: Utah

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#17

Post by chriswoodut »

In the 3 stakes I've been in with callings as a clerk/secretary I don't think we've ever been asked to send funds back to the stake. Interesting. With it being Dec 30, I would hope if a stake is planning on asking for anything back that they have communicated that long before wards start doing their budgets.
davesudweeks
Senior Member
Posts: 2347
Joined: Sun May 09, 2010 9:16 pm
Location: Oklahoma, USA

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#18

Post by davesudweeks »

chriswoodut wrote:In the 3 stakes I've been in with callings as a clerk/secretary I don't think we've ever been asked to send funds back to the stake. Interesting. With it being Dec 30, I would hope if a stake is planning on asking for anything back that they have communicated that long before wards start doing their budgets.
It has only happened once when I was clerk and was the result of a new bishop who kept pressure on all the organizations to not spend their budget. We ended up with over half our budget unspent at the end of the year. The stake president taught him a lesson by making us give almost all of it back to the stake...
smithsor
New Member
Posts: 5
Joined: Sun May 26, 2019 12:09 pm

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#19

Post by smithsor »

We received our Q1 2020 budget allowance. It is $12 per attendee. There is a "Parent Unit Est. Percentage" of 54% which means we only get $6.48 per attendee. Can someone explain that? Here is the footnote reference, *** If you have questions concerning these percentages, please contact your Parent Unit President.
russellhltn
Community Administrator
Posts: 32083
Joined: Sat Jan 20, 2007 2:53 pm
Location: U.S.

Re: Budget Balance and Carryover

#20

Post by russellhltn »

smithsor wrote:We received our Q1 2020 budget allowance. It is $12 per attendee. There is a "Parent Unit Est. Percentage" of 54% which means we only get $6.48 per attendee. Can someone explain that? Here is the footnote reference, *** If you have questions concerning these percentages, please contact your Parent Unit President.
For most, "parent unit" is the stake. (for branches in a mission, it would be the mission).

While the allowance is based on the ward's attendance, the stake sets how much they get to fund the stake programs. So, in your case, the stake is taking 46% for it's budget. Any questions about that should be directed to the stake president.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Post Reply

Return to “Local Unit Finance”