PAF For Mac?

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
gregneg

Reunion

Post by gregneg »

Roger wrote: I am still in the process of looking at FamilyInsight and it is a great improvement for LDS and the Mac.

For non LDS Reunion it is a good program. If there were an API where you could pass data between Reunion and FamilyInsight this would answer one of my concerns.

Roger

Reunion, like **any** serious genealogy program, has the ability to work GEDCOM.
For Ver 9 --- File>>Import/Export>> Export GEDCOM>> ----- :D
Roger-p40

Mac Program

Post by Roger-p40 »

I am in the process of trying to decide if I want to write a iMac genealogy program that is geared toward the LDS community. I have been a programmer for 40 years with VB experience. I am in the process of working with RealBasic to see if I think I can do this project using RB.

I would appreciate any comments on this project. What do you think, good, bad, things you consider important that I should include in the application? Do you think it is worth while or a waste of my time?

I have some ideals on what I think it should contain and how the user interface should look and have started a prototype to see if I can make some of them work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I hope this post is not inappropriate if so just delete it.

Thanks
Roger
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I think the biggest problem with commercial genealogy today is it's just computerized Family Group Sheets. It works well when starting out, but falls apart when real research is involved. I'd suggest any new program be "Source Based". Hopefully I'll find some more time later to explain the term.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
garysturn

Post by garysturn »

There is a commercial Family History program that is in the process of getting FamilySearch Certified and plan to offer the ability to sync with the newFamilySearch Family Tree program. The name of the program is MacFamilyTree. The program is already available. The next upgrade should include the ability to work with FamilySearch. The company is out of Germany.
Gary Turner
If you haven't already, please take a moment to review our new
Code of Conduct
rmrichesjr
Community Moderators

Post by rmrichesjr »

Roger wrote:I am in the process of trying to decide if I want to write a iMac genealogy program that is geared toward the LDS community. I have been a programmer for 40 years with VB experience. I am in the process of working with RealBasic to see if I think I can do this project using RB.

I would appreciate any comments on this project. What do you think, good, bad, things you consider important that I should include in the application? Do you think it is worth while or a waste of my time?

I have some ideals on what I think it should contain and how the user interface should look and have started a prototype to see if I can make some of them work.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I hope this post is not inappropriate if so just delete it.

Thanks
Roger
If you do write a new program, I would suggest you consider using Java. Then, the same program could be useful and be used on several different platforms with just a little care in the design and coding, and maybe an incremental bit of debugging for any platform-specific issues. Alternatively, there is at least one graphics toolkit that claims to be cross-platform for use in programs written in C. Thank you for considering the suggestion(s).
sgtbob-p40

PAF and MAC

Post by sgtbob-p40 »

I know this message was about 18 months ago, but for anyone looking into running a Windows (re: PAF) package on a MAC, one of the easier ways for me was to purchase the Virtual Machine software called 'FUSION'. It isn't all that expensive and it will let me run all the Windows programs I have tried. At present, I have been using LEGACY and it works super. I might try PAF again to see what features it has, but am currently satisfied with LEGACY and its features.

Bob
tomj
Community Moderators

Post by tomj »

sgtbob -

Another great option that is very similar to Fusion and Parallels is call Virtual Box by Sun Microsystems. http://http://www.virtualbox.org/

It is freely available as Open Source Software under the terms of the GNU General Public License (GPL). I used to use parallels, and it works just as good plus it's free. I downloaded the new Release Candidate of Windows 7 for free and am running it via Virtual Box. I've been using PAF on it and it works Great! I think the Windows 7 Release Candidate is free until March 2010, but I'm not certain.
downunder-p40

Post by downunder-p40 »

Tomj wrote:sgtbob -

Another great option that is very similar to Fusion and Parallels is call Virtual Box by Sun Microsystems. http://http://www.virtualbox.org/
Thanks for that tip. I downloaded it and it works well on Tiger on a Mac. I've now got XP and Linux running in VMs.
zaneclark

Post by zaneclark »

I finally found a very nice FREE family history program for the Mac.... It is called PAWriter and the developer says that this is where the original PAF for Mac would be if the church had continued to develop it. I have downloaded it, uploaded my whole family gedcom and it seems to work flawlessly. Someone who works with it a little more, might find some issues. Here is the web site where it can be downloaded:
http://www.macupdate.com/app/mac/27497/paw2u
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

I wanted to point out the list of FamilySearch Software Affiliates. I'm pretty sure that there's at least one Mac program in there.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Family History”