Mi Box S and bluetooth

Using the Church Webcasting System, YouTube, etc. Including cameras and mixers.
pcardelli

Mi Box S and bluetooth

Post by pcardelli »

Built two of these and they worked really well at our Stake Conference this weekend. Only issue we ran into surprisingly was at one of the sites two different individuals trying to connect to the disconnected Wifi tried pairing with the MiBox over the Bluetooth. Which of course displayed their phone ID in front of everyone. :shock: :shock: :shock: :D :D :D :D :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Do the test units have the bluetooth pair hidden at all by default? I could not find an option on the ones I have to turn that setting off. Bluetooth is great but that assumes you don't have a few hundred guests trying to connect their devices to random wifi/bluetooth....
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Re: Mi Box S beta program

Post by Mikerowaved »

pcardelli wrote:Do the test units have the bluetooth pair hidden at all by default?
No, BT is enabled by default and I can't see a way to disable it. It's needed for the paired remote, so I guess Xiaomi chose to to always keep it active.
So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Mi Box S and bluetooth

Post by russellhltn »

I confirmed this was an issue. I found that if the device is in "Restricted Mode", it's not available for pairing. It won't appear on member's devices.

The Beta devices did ship in Restricted Mode, but I assumed that was just to prevent the device from the operator, not the members <grin>

The instructions for reloading the device indicated that Restricted Mode was optional, but based on this finding, I'd upgrade it to "Highly Advised".

From the instructions:
You will need to configure and set the device into restricted mode. This prevents anyone using other apps on the device and from having other unwanted apps running during a webcast.
1. From the Mi Box home screen, scroll up and select Settings .
2. Scroll down and select Device Preferences.
3. Scroll down and select Security & restrictions.
4. On the Security & restrictions settings, select Create restricted profile.
5. Set a new pin.
6. On the Allowed apps screen, select the Meetinghouse Webcast app to toggle it On, and make sure all other apps are toggled off.
7. Click the back button on the remote to return to the Security & restrictions screen.
8. Select Enter restricted profile, and you will now be in restricted mode.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
Mikerowaved
Community Moderators

Post by Mikerowaved »

russellhltn wrote:I found that if the device is in "Restricted Mode", it's not available for pairing.
That's great info. Thanks!
pcardelli

Post by pcardelli »

Thank you for the Restricted Mode Info.

I see now why they ship it this way, it is way quicker to setup, and like you said it does shut off the bluetooth.

I do recommend testing your setup when ever doing any updates or deploying new units for Bluetooth pairing. I found that if restricted mode does not work to disable bluetooth, I first had to do a full reset, then do the whole restricted mode process above.

Return to “Non-Interactive Webcasting”