Why is there an age limit on access to online donations?

Discussions about the Online Donation system.
mrnonaustralianguy

Why is there an age limit on access to online donations?

Post by mrnonaustralianguy »

On the Online Donations page, if you’re under the age of 13, you can’t access the page. WHY? I really don’t understand why people under 13 can’t pay their tithing online. Does it have something to do with the COPPA?
Jeremy 🎶
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Why is there an age limit on access to online donations?

Post by russellhltn »

jeremynwest wrote:Does it have something to do with the COPPA?
Probably.

A quick search suggests that's also the minimum age for a bank account which is necessary to use the on-line donation system.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
mrnonaustralianguy

If it doesn’t, then I do NOT understand why in the world they wouldn’t allow people under 13 to pay their tithing online.

I know that one benefit of online donations is that if you have a job, you don’t have to give your tithing to the bishop every week. And in my area, there is a local business that hires 12-year-olds! What about those employees who are under 13 who earn money?

Also, with this pandemic, people under 13 can’t pay their tithing because they can’t access the online donations page!
Jeremy 🎶
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

jeremynwest wrote:If it doesn’t, then I do NOT understand why in the world they wouldn’t allow people under 13 to pay their tithing online.

I know that one benefit of online donations is that if you have a job, you don’t have to give your tithing to the bishop every week. And in my area, there is a local business that hires 12-year-olds! What about those employees who are under 13 who earn money?

Also, with this pandemic, people under 13 can’t pay their tithing because they can’t access the online donations page!
Lack of online donations does not prevent anyone from paying tithing. One can always put money in an envelope and mail it to the bishop. Parents can write a check for the children/youth as that is more secure than cash when going through the mail.

While less convenient, it is still possible. No one on this user-to-user mutual help forum has any ability to make any changes to church policy. If you feel strongly about this, you have 2 options to get this request to those who set the programmer's priorities:
1. Provide feedback from any page on the church web site (you may not receive a personalized answer, but we're told all feedback is read and sent to the appropriate leaders).
2. Convince your stake president to raise the concern with his coordinating counsel.
mrnonaustralianguy

OK. Thanks.
Jeremy 🎶
BrianEdwards

Post by BrianEdwards »

One thing I'm not aware of, is if the Church has a policy regarding handwritten donations, if a member doesn't have donation slips on hand.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

BrianEdwards wrote:One thing I'm not aware of, is if the Church has a policy regarding handwritten donations, if a member doesn't have donation slips on hand.
My bishop and I deposited a check a couple days ago that came in the mail to him without a donation slip. We just filled one out for the donor. Funny thing is, if you have a member account, your bank routing number, and your account number, you should easily be able to donate online. But some folks like to write checks.
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

BrianEdwards wrote:One thing I'm not aware of, is if the Church has a policy regarding handwritten donations, if a member doesn't have donation slips on hand.
I'm not aware of a policy. Personally, I don't don't see an issue as long as the donor's intent is clear.

If you're having to guess the intent (such as when there is no donation slip), that's an issue.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.

Return to “Online Donations”