Ward member would like status on the account for they're missionary son

Discuss questions around local unit policies for budgeting, reconciling, etc. This forum should not contain specific financial or membership information.
rideutah

Ward member would like status on the account for they're missionary son

Post by rideutah »

I'm a financial clerk and a member of my ward is asking for the status of the account for their missionary son. I'm assuming they want to know how much they have paid and if they are up to date or short on payments. I've never seen anything that shows any accounting for this. How can i help them? Thanks.
jdlessley
Community Moderators

Re: Ward member would like status on the account for they're missionary son

Post by jdlessley »

Your first stop should have been to ask for training from your ward clerk or even from your stake financial clerk or stake clerk. They are responsible for training you in your duties and the technology you use in your calling.

If you are trying to get that information at home from Leader and Clerk Resources (LCR) then it is found in Finance > Overview > Income and Expense Details. On that page select the date range of interest. For missionaries I use the custom date range to get all activity from the beginning of the first transaction. Select Ward Missionary Fund from the category drop-down list box. Then select the missionary name category in the subcategory drop-down list box. All transactions will be provided but donor names will not be displayed. You can see who the donors are by clicking the reference number hyperlink for a specific donation.
JD Lessley
Have you tried finding your answer on the ChurchofJesusChrist.org Help Center or Tech Wiki?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

Please note that donor information should not be displayed to anyone but the donor in question. In other words, you should not disclose who donated to the fund.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

Another source of this information is the monthly financial statement, which the assistant clerk for finances should be reviewing each month. It has been a while since I have seen a financial statement for a unit with active missionaries, but I think the statement breaks down the ward missionary fund into sub-accounts. Or am I mis-remembering?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
scgallafent
Church Employee
Church Employee

Post by scgallafent »

The monthly financial statement does have a summary that shows the current balance for each missionary.

Even without names, there isn't really a reason that the missionary's parents need to see the donation history if it includes donations from someone other than the person you're giving the information to. Just let them know the current balance in the missionary's subaccount.
cjashton

Post by cjashton »

Thanks for posting this "solution". Was able to share it with my clerk and he could pull what I needed right away.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

I'll share the balance with the parents, but not the donation list. That should be private. Often members of the Ward will donate to missionaries and want to remain anonymous. Had a missionary who's parents were divorced and both donated, and it was very contentious between the two of them. I would give each the balance, but made them talk to the Bishop about details of what they were both donating.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

brown67 wrote:Had a missionary who's parents were divorced and both donated, and it was very contentious between the two of them. I would give each the balance, but made them talk to the Bishop about details of what they were both donating.
I see no issue with providing each with a list of their own donations. It may a list of all donations, but would include the missionary.

I would remind them that the difference could be the made by the ex, or other ward members. That part, you cannot reveal.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
brown67

Post by brown67 »

Exactly. They wanted all donations which I couldn't give them. What they really wanted was to see how much was being donated by the ex.

Return to “Local Unit Finance”