Is it possible to seal a child to parents when the child has no death date?

PeggyHanton

Is it possible to seal a child to parents when the child has no death date?

Post by PeggyHanton »

I am working in Bavaria in the 1700;s and 1800's. MANY children were born and then have no other records - not even a death record.

Is there a way to do a child's sealing to his parents without doing the baptism, confirmation, initiatory, endowment when these ordinances may not be needed?

Thank you!
drepouille

Re: Is it possible to seal a child to parents when the child has no death date?

Post by drepouille »

Does the absence of records prove that the child died before the age of eight years?
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
drepouille

Post by drepouille »

If you know the person died before age 8, but you do not know the death date, take the steps below:
Click the blank field under Death.
Click Edit.
Enter Before and enter a date before the person would have been 8.
Enter a reason for the change.
Click Save.
https://www.familysearch.org/help/sales ... ordinances
Dana Repouille, Plattsmouth, Nebraska
PeggyHanton

Post by PeggyHanton »

Dana, thank you for your reply.

You make a very good point that absence of a death record cannot be proof that the child died before age 8.

I am doing descendancy research in the 1700's and 1800's, so I'm dealing with very distant cousins, and there are no family memories of them.

So many children are left in this situation ... No record of death. Maybe records will surface as more indexing happens. So I suppose we just wait.

However, whether or not they live beyond age 8, they still need sealing to their parents. At this point, the only way to do the sealing is to do several other ordinances, which may or may not actually be needed if the child did die before 8.

I was just hoping that there was a way to do the sealing to parents. Maybe not at this point.

Thanks for the reply.

Peggy
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

My opinion: If we don't know the child died before age 8, then we must assume they need all the ordinances. It runs the risk of doing unnecessary ordinances, but that is better than missing ordinances that should be done. I am also working out on cousin lines (most in the 1800s) and I normally wait on them until I find more information than simply a birth date.

Return to “FamilySearch Products”