Baby blessing question

Some discussions just don't fit into a well defined box. Use this forum to discuss general topics and issues revolving around the Church and the technology offerings we use and share.
hollytonnies

Baby blessing question

Post by hollytonnies »

Is it alright to record a baby blessing? I'd like to be able to record audio so I can type a copy of it. Thanks!
lajackson
Community Moderators

Re: Baby blessing question

Post by lajackson »

hollytonnies wrote:Is it alright to record a baby blessing? I'd like to be able to record audio so I can type a copy of it. Thanks!
General Handbook 38.2.1.5 says that "patriarchal blessings are recorded and transcribed. The exact wording of other ordinances and blessings is not recorded in writing or by recording device. However, a family may record father’s blessings."

A baby blessing is not a father's blessing. Although I have seen it done on a few rare occasions, my suggestion would be to take notes and record impressions of the blessing, not to record or transcribe the actual blessing. Personally, I would leave it to the patriarch to do that one at a later date.

On one occasion and at the request of a priesthood leader for a specific purpose, I have given and then transcribed a father's blessing for one of my children. For most of them, I make the same suggestion that after they receive the blessing they record their thoughts and impressions in their own journals. And I usually do the same in my journal.

Elder Bruce R. McConkie used to record all of the father's blessings he gave his children, according to his biography.
hollytonnies

Post by hollytonnies »

Thank you very much!
adamolson

Post by adamolson »

Thank you, that was helpful.

https://www.churchofjesuschrist.org/stu ... s?lang=eng

Return to “General Discussions”