Historical Mission Boundaries Map

Discussions around Genealogy technology.
jaocon

Re: Historical Mission Boundaries Map

Post by jaocon »

Perhaps a mission can generally be represented in the Tree by:
1. an event over a period of time in a particular geographical area (boundaries)
2. Travelling/multiple residences within the mission
3. Multiple stories in the areas of residence with media/documents attached

So I'm guessing the current/correct way to record a mission in the Tree would involve these several areas - only there isn't currently a way to add residences within a custom mission event - that I know of? Theoretically a printing of all events/memories for a mission would reconstruct the missionary journal. So I guess breaking a document into resident event timeframes would work - but I'd still like to see a custom event/geographical container.
davesudweeks

Post by davesudweeks »

This is a great discussion, but will likely never be seen by anyone with authority over the FamilySearch software. I recommend you post your recommendations as feedback from within FamilySearch. You could put a link to this thread in the feedback to give them a place to review the discussions.
jaocon

Post by jaocon »

I went through the regular 'Feedback' link and found out that has since closed and now gave feedback through the new Community site:

https://community.familysearch.org/s/fe ... 04zhdluSAA
sbradshaw
Community Moderators

Post by sbradshaw »

I don't think FamilySearch is intended to replace a full biography or journal of a person; events are more high-level than granular. I don't think I'd indicate different areas on a mission in FamilySearch any more than I'd indicate which middle school the person attended, which years they served as the ward organist, or which dates they spoke in sacrament meeting. If a biography did exist outside of FamilySearch, you could link to it as a source.
Samuel Bradshaw • If you desire to serve God, you are called to the work.
jaocon

Post by jaocon »

sbradshaw wrote:I don't think FamilySearch is intended to replace a full biography or journal of a person; events are more high-level than granular. I don't think I'd indicate different areas on a mission in FamilySearch any more than I'd indicate which middle school the person attended, which years they served as the ward organist, or which dates they spoke in sacrament meeting. If a biography did exist outside of FamilySearch, you could link to it as a source.
Interesting. well you're entitled... you are probably right though - FamilySearch is probably looking for some other entity to fill that niche.

Return to “Family History”