Insufficient Permissions to run MLS

Discussions around using and interfacing with the Church MLS program.
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Re: Insufficient Permissions to run MLS

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Perhaps MLS was installed under a third Admin account?
Such as the "Stake" account? Sure, that would do it.

C:\ProgramData\LDS Church. Right-click, Security tab. Click "Edit". Click "Add".

Now comes the hard part - you can add the two users, or "Users" (meaning anyone who logs in) or whatever you want to do. Give them "Full control". Click "OK".

I might be a bit off as I'm not in front of a church computer right now and working from memory.
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

Thanks. I will give it a shot.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:you can add the two users
Your memory was good enough, thanks. But the users were already there with Full Control permissions.

Is it okay to turn off the Read Only attribute of the folder? That solved the problem, but doesn't the Admin Full Control permission override that?
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

lajackson wrote:Is it okay to turn off the Read Only attribute of the folder?
It shouldn't be read only, but I've also seen where the user interface gives bad info.

lajackson wrote:That solved the problem, but doesn't the Admin Full Control permission override that?
Even if you're an administrator, you don't get administrator rights unless you "Run as administrator"
Have you searched the Help Center? Try doing a Google search and adding "site:churchofjesuschrist.org/help" to the search criteria.

So we can better help you, please edit your Profile to include your general location.
lajackson
Community Moderators

Post by lajackson »

russellhltn wrote:Even if you're an administrator, you don't get administrator rights unless you "Run as administrator"
Out of context, that sounds really funny. When is an administrator not an administrator? In Windows, of course.

Well, with Read Only (whether real or interfacially wrong) turned off, everything works with the regular account without having to Run as Administrator. Which solved my problem. Thank you for pointing me in the right place to find the switch.
rscorse47

Post by rscorse47 »

Just for curiosity, have you right clicked on the icon, "properties', 'compatibility' , check the 'run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and then on the 'privilege level tab, checked the 'run this program as an administrator' and lastly 'change settings for all users'??

Works on the few I deal with . . . .
russellhltn
Community Administrator

Post by russellhltn »

rscorse47 wrote:Just for curiosity, have you right clicked on the icon, "properties', 'compatibility' , check the 'run this program in compatibility mode for Windows 7, and then on the 'privilege level tab, checked the 'run this program as an administrator' and lastly 'change settings for all users'??

Works on the few I deal with . . . .
Running the program "as administrator" will work. But it seems changing the file permissions will allow it to run in "non-admin" mode.

Your way would seem to have the advantage of preventing non-admins from trying to run MLS.

Return to “MLS Support, Help, and Feedback”